fwb 300s

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

QUICKBRICK

fwb 300s

Post by QUICKBRICK »

i am thinking of taking up 10m air rifle shooting . i've been shooting lsr for 5 or 6 years but fancy doing something else . i've been offered a fwb 300s for a good price. i looked at several reviews on the internet - all giving positive reviews but are they really that good ? thanks in advance
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

For competing at the highest levels, no, not really. But for learning, they're not bad at all. They do vibrate a bit when fired which means your follow-through has to be good, that's a result of the mechanism. The 600s vibrate less and are more accurate; the precompressed air rifles are as accurate as the 600s and take less effort to cock. But the 300 will hold the target better than a beginner and they are a rather nice example of mechanical engineering too.
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

The FWB 300 is a air gun classic, pure and simple. They are as accurate as anything made today, and with a little effort, take you very far. It is true that the newer guns reqire less effort, but thousands of these are used everyday by club shooters who can shoot very respectable scores. If I wanted to get into air rifle, short of trying to make the OLympic Team, the 300 would be a very hard gun to say no to.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I bought a used fwb 300 as my first air rifle about 5 years ago. I have now switched to pistol but I still have and ocassionally shoot the 300. As has been mentioned it isn't all singing and dancing but it is still a nice gun. I would suggest it's a great gun to start with and learn the sport. When you feel you've outgrown the gun you can move on, but you will better know what you want plus the 300 will sell for pretty much the same amount you paid for it.

Rob.
cqbarms

Re: fwb 300s

Post by cqbarms »

They are certainly that good, the only issue is that there are newer guns that are better.

FOr starters it's a great gun, and more so it is a CLASSIC gun. I have about 6 different versions and all have a very special place in my heart.

For a "wayback" moment...

check ou the "MiniSniping" Article

Certainly not something you are asking about doing but it's funny to see the prices..an airgun for $700!!! My god!

http://cqbarms.com/gunforum/viewtopic.php?t=347
Tikka

Post by Tikka »

Can you guys tell me what feet per second rating is on the 300S?
Jim E

FWB300S velocities

Post by Jim E »

Ideal wadcutter velocity is in the 570-575 feet/second (fps) to achieve maximum pellet stability. Walthers, Anschutz and Fienwerkbau all advertise this velocity with the new air rifles.

Beeman (a master marketer) advertised the FWB300S velocity at 640 fps --- the fine print at the bottom of his page said this velocity was achieved shooting Beeman Laser pellets - a super light mid-6 g. pellet.

Our Host (all around great people) advises using Vogel pistol pellets for match springers and these weight in the mid-7 g. range. Using a wadcutter of a similar weight should let you achieve the 570-575 fps or slightly better with a FWB300 or FWB300S (they both use the same recoilless springer action). Velocities substantially below (say 530 fps) would be a red flag seals and/or springs warrent attention.

Hope this helps.

BTW - I agree with the comments above concerning the FWB300 but would ad Diana 75's, Anschutsz LG-380's, and Walther's LGR's to the short list of entry level, i.e. cheap and cheerful, match air rifles.
johnbraks

Post by johnbraks »

Anschutz LG380 is great. I had a look at what I think was a 300S a while ago. Whatever it was, the action slid back on rails when fired which I found quite disconcerting. The LG380 also slides but is not so noticeable as it happens inside the main housing.
john
Jake Rifle 300

Post by Jake Rifle 300 »

I shoot with a with a Walther lg300 and i shoot about a 290 at 10 meters. i highly recomend the walther lg300. Great rifle.