Canadian shooters in their sights now?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

IPshooter

Canadian shooters in their sights now?

Post by IPshooter »

Sounds like good old fashioned, obnoxiously liberal American ideas are spreading north:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051208/wl_nm/politics_dc_1

Didn't the Brazilians just defeat a similar attack?

Stan
cdf

Post by cdf »

This is a piece of shoddy electioneering , the ruling Liberals are in a tight spot . They are trying to get as many votes as possible in left of center areas , and from left of center groups . If they get a majority gov. they can likley pull it off .

They could in fact ban handguns at any time by means of a political move call ed an "Order in Council" . True to form they are trying for all the political milage they can get . The timing is rather suspect ! If it is such a pressing moral imperitive , why didn't they do it at the beginning of their mandate ?

The gun crime problem is basically due to Toronto area gangs/ and drug traffickers ( mostly recruited from one particular immigrant community ) .They are making hay about guns stolen from private collections , due to the fact that these are one of the few groups of weapons they are able to track .

Sadly , if these asshats form a majority govornment , they may be able to pull it off !

Chris
EdStevens

Post by EdStevens »

Honestly, they don't even need a majority. A minority in partnership with the NDP will do the trick, since they are even more anti-gun than the Liberals. Although we are trying to fight this, I fear that Canada is going the way of Australia and Great Britain, as usual.

I have been proudly Canadian all of my life. I am now getting ready to head south.
TWP

Post by TWP »

Ed,

Fight the good fight as long as you can. Then when you move here just stay away from NJ, MA, MD, IL, and CA.
tewatson

Re: Canadian shooters in their sights now?

Post by tewatson »

IPshooter wrote:Sounds like good old fashioned, obnoxiously liberal American ideas are spreading north
Wait a minute now... Canadian gun laws overall have been much more wacked out than U.S. laws for years. Permits to carry between Point A and B, and if you stop at Point C along the way you're in violation? No hollowpoints? Storing handguns at gun clubs? We have some stupid laws here to be sure, but I think Canada has been pioneering new ground in firearms paranoia for decades.

Tom
EdStevens

Post by EdStevens »

Just to set the record somewhat straight, yes we need an ATT (Authorization to Transport) to travel with the guns anywhere, using a reasonably direct route. The long-term ATT normally gives permission to go from home (i.e. the address specified for the gun as registered) to any authorized range and back within the province, although this can vary. A trigger lock is required during travel and a locked case. Stops for gas and even food are permitted if the trip is a long enough one, in which case the gun can even be left unattended as long as it is secured and hidden within the locked vehicle. A short-term ATT is issued for other travel, such as taking the frame (that is the "firearm" legally) to a gunsmith or even from the store to the home when it is first purchased.

Hollowpoints can be purchased at retailers, but individuals cannot import handgun hollowpoints directly without authorization.

And we have no central lockup -- yet. If that happens we're probably screwed big time. Let's not even think about that.