Walther, Pardini, Morini, Hamerelli...

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Mike T.

War

Post by Mike T. »

And no one caught me out on my error regarding the Conventional Pistol Rapid Fire match record. It is only 200-19X (not 20X). Still, that means that one target was 100-10X, so my argument is still sound.
sparky

Re: Barrel position

Post by sparky »

Oops. I assumed the OP was interested in Rapid Fire. If not, the the quicker recovery doesn't matter...relatively speaking, 10 seconds is an eternity for 5 shots. I think any dropped points during the 10 second string of Standard Pistol have very little to do with equipment and more to do with the shooter.
Mike T. wrote:Sparky wrote: "height of the axis of the bore over the hand has to do with perceived recoil and recovery for follow up shots. It has nothing to do with the accuracy of the guns in question"

<snip>

Since the low-barrel-axis-pistols are easier and faster, how come they aren't producing Standard Pistol scores of 100 in the 10-second stage? Heck, even the .45 Auto 1911 pistol can be shot to the 100-10X level (Conventional Pistol) and its recovery time is even greater than an S&W Model 41.
Again, I say that 25 m Rapid Fire Pistol is another matter. Here, I believe that the shorter recovery time of the "low barrel" pistol can be a factor.

So, back to my original postulate: Those "high barrel" pistols I mentioned (and a couple more I didn't) with slides that lock open after the last shot are proven "serious" target pistols. If a shooter wants a target gun on which the slide locks open after the last shot, he not only has a selection of such guns, but he can be confident that they can perform as well as any of the target guns on which the slide does not lock back after the last shot - at least in Standard Pistol. The same is true for Sport Pistol and Center Fire Pistol, but these are essentially "single-shot" events in which recovery time is not a factor.
Justin

Post by Justin »

Don't worry about it Justin, we will all argue about anything. (Who's going to be the first one to disagree?)
Hmmm...ok...

9mm or .45?

AK or AR?

:D

Anyway, off to read some more of the articles on the web.

Anyone have any firsthand experience with the CM5?
Pär

Post by Pär »

Justin wrote:
Par (please excuse my spelling, I don't have the double dots for the "a")
You can type the ä character by holding down the Alt key on your keyboard, and while holding it down, type 0228 on your numberpad. When you release the Alt, it will display the character.
Dont worry, Im used! Acually, when emailing on the Sun Sparc Stations at the university early 90ies there were no swedish characters ( å, ä and ö). We called it 7-bit Swedish when writing without those characters. 7 bit represent the first 128 characters and as you can see, the ä is number 228 ;-)

Another odd thing is my familyname, Hylander, that was pronounced as "highlander" by the officals at Nordic Championchips Bisley, UK, 1992. Since then I'm called like that by some shooting collegues. You might think about Scotland and thats odd becuase I'm from Sweden and have never been to Scotland. And btw, Hylander is not pronoced like highlander in Swedish, it is pronocud like it is written in swedish witch is totally impossible for me to describe in english ;-)

Now, that was really OT....

On topic again. 2005 I shot RF with a Sako Triace. For next year I will shoot it as it is or with a shorter barrel i order to decrease V0 and recoil. I have also just started to modify an Walther OSP Match (Ragnar Skanåker's former RF-pistol) to .22 LR and to comply with the new rules. I friend of mine has a modified Walther OSP 2000 and IM (not so humble)O it outperforms all other pistols incl all the new electronic Pardinis and everything by lightyears ;-)

(to be honest, we have not been able to test the Match Guns)
IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

Pär wrote: I have also just started to modify an Walther OSP Match (Ragnar Skanåker's former RF-pistol) to .22 LR and to comply with the new rules. I friend of mine has a modified Walther OSP 2000 and IM (not so humble)O it outperforms all other pistols incl all the new electronic Pardinis and everything by lightyears ;-)
Pär (that actually worked!),

Can you detail what changes were made to the OSP 2000 to make it legal now, and can you also compare and contrast this modified pistol with the Pardini. In what areas do you consider OSP 2000 to be superior to the new Pardini SP1 RF?

Thanks,

Stan
Pär

Post by Pär »

IPshooter wrote:
Pär wrote: I have also just started to modify an Walther OSP Match (Ragnar Skanåker's former RF-pistol) to .22 LR and to comply with the new rules. I friend of mine has a modified Walther OSP 2000 and IM (not so humble)O it outperforms all other pistols incl all the new electronic Pardinis and everything by lightyears ;-)
Pär (that actually worked!),

Can you detail what changes were made to the OSP 2000 to make it legal now, and can you also compare and contrast this modified pistol with the Pardini. In what areas do you consider OSP 2000 to be superior to the new Pardini SP1 RF?

Thanks,

Stan
* Trigger mechanism exchanged to GSP or springs added to OSP to get 1 kg
* Barrel new in .22 lr, same lenght as OSP (85 mm?)
* Rear sight moved forward (dismounted the sight radius extender)
* Plastic handle to bolt/slide (what is the correct word?) exchanged to GSP .32 but without weights or custom made. In order to increase weight of slide a bit.
* OSP grip modified to comply with standard pistol rules.
* Some weights on barrel accoring to personal preferences
* Magazine from GSP or modified OSP mag.

Main advantage compared to stock Pardini is that the short barrel gives just right velocity (recoil) , about 255-260 m/s with "normal" 22 match ammo. The "recoil feeling" (actually time-tuning of cycle) can easily be tuned by adding or substracting mass from the handle of the slide

The The Pardini is just right with RWS Subsonic but excessive fast with most other ammos, incl the "new" SK and Lapua special RF-versions. Another advantage for the modified OSP is the price, that is about 15-30% of the Pardini's price... The modifications are really straight forward IMO. One major drawback might be of legislative/administrative nature, if it is problematic to get permit to do a calibre change of a pistol in your country.

I did shoot with Pardini GP with the old rules the last 9-10 years, but I never liked the SP for standard pistol. I have not tested the the SP1 RF, but I (maybe wrongly) assumes the difference to be non significant to the SP. The reason for this assumption is that I carefully tested my GPs side by side to electronic Pardini Schuman and found out that I thougt the diffrences to be fairly small and that I actually preffered the GP and its lower weight.

Of course, most other pistols can have the barrel shortend and most can use RWS Subsonic. But if I compare all new pistols (unmodified) to a modified old OSP, I prefer the OSP. I do not recommend such a conversion for shooter thats want a "out of the box" performing pistol. An OSP conversions should be considered as a mechanical project that will need some debugging afterwards....

Mvh, Pär
Pär H

Post by Pär H »