target panic

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jjjjjjjjjjjjjjj

target panic

Post by jjjjjjjjjjjjjjj »

i'm here at the 3x, the biggest problem i'm having is that i get nervous during the first 20 shoot, most of it is due to my inexperience. the thing is no matter how hard i try i'm having a tough time trying not to think about the 10 ring, but the more i try the heavier the trigger gets. any suggestion and techniques everyone?

jay
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

J:

What a (coincidence?). Day one match I had what could only be described as a "panic attack" commencing with first sighter shot. Here's how I worked through it:

1) Don't take too long to recognize that you are experiencing an abnormal level of "excitation." I just figured I could "plow through it" but 20 sighters later it wasn't any better; I was running out of time (making situation worse) and went into 20 (crappy) match shots before taking action. ACT EARLY!

2) Have an effective (and fast) "relaxation process" that you train on and can implement during a match. THEN USE IT!

3) Mine involves some breathing exercises and visualization. Tied to an autosuggestion process (keywords, images, etc.). Once I decided that I had had enough and implemented my relaxation script, things went much better.

Anyhow, key points 1 & 2 above will help; but in order for it to work you must have a relaxation drill already in your pocket (so to speak) before you need it.

Good luck this morning!

Steve
Ernie Rodriguez

Target Panic

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

Jay-In addition to Steves good advice,I would like to add the following.Nervousness happens to many tgt shooters in a match and is not always because of inexperience-I think sometimes it is because of an overwhelming desire to excel-especially in a big tournament.Having said that,why not adapt an attitude of "I will just do the best I can" and to hell with the score.This way,maybe you will reduce the pressure you put on yourself,and you will shoot within your capability.Hope this helps.Ernie.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Ernie makes a great point!

But it brings up a fundamental (hidden?) assumption maybe in the way you are looking at "results." On a "philosophical" *and* "practical" level:

Can you control the holes in the paper?

NO!

Can you control your behaviors?

YES!

So go ahead and work on executing your behaviors properly . . . don't even look at where the shots fall (well, as long as you are properly sighted in etc.) . . . and you will be shooting up to your potential, wherever that may be on any particular day.

So you should no longer have any reason at all for anxiety- you know how to execute your behaviors, and you know that doing this will result in your shooting up to your potential (higher some days than others, to be sure), so what is there to worry about?

Yeah well anyhow that's one theory . . .

Steve
cdf

Post by cdf »

I'm very new to matches , and had a rather ruff outing the first time out . I choose to regard it as a learning experience , I learned a whole bunch of things I'll never do again . Try to think of it as a learning experiance , concentrate on your basic mechanics , drink plenty of water , take your time .

Think of it as an oppourtunity to meet some neat people and have fun . Keep your goals and expectations reasonable .

Chris
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

As for the drink plenty of water thing.

I agree keep hydrated (as this is not a physical sport which makes it very easy to do) and comfortable but don't drink too much as running off to the washroom in the middle of a match can be very distracting.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Richard H wrote:As for the drink plenty of water thing.

I agree keep hydrated (as this is not a physical sport which makes it very easy to do) and comfortable but don't drink too much as running off to the washroom in the middle of a match can be very distracting.
I disagree. I more often than not go for a 'natural break' mid match. It breaks the session up, gives you a rest and a chance to stretch your legs. For optimum hydration you should be drinking 30 or so minutes before the match as it takes that long to get into your system.

Rob.