Flooring For Air Hall

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Jack Burch

Flooring For Air Hall

Post by Jack Burch »

I posted this on the Pistol also.

What is your preference on flooring between the firing line and the targets in an Air Hall.

Things I need to know are: Color, Type of Flooring (ie: Vinyl, Ceramic, Concrete), Satin or Gloss Finish. I am sure that there are other considerations I have not thought of.

Thanks!!!
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Jack: I have not shot at any really big time ranges. The nicest range I have shot at is WVU's and their floor is painted concrete. Unless you have money to burn it seems to me that anything more than painted concrete is a waste. In my garage I used a stain on the concrete which looks very nice. I have found it to be much more durable than paint.
TWP

We just painted our AR range floor

Post by TWP »

We used a Light Gray concrete garage floor paint, IIRC it was made by Behr.

http://www.behr.com/behrx/act/view/prod ... s&catId=16

We had to clean, etch, and prime the floor first.

So far we are very happy with it.
mikeschroeder

Re: We just painted our AR range floor

Post by mikeschroeder »

TWP wrote:We used a Light Gray concrete garage floor paint, IIRC it was made by Behr.

http://www.behr.com/behrx/act/view/prod ... s&catId=16

We had to clean, etch, and prime the floor first.

So far we are very happy with it.
Hi

I have that stuff in my basement. If you don't like it, Hoppe's Benchrest Copper solvent takes it RIGHT UP. So does gun scrubber.

Mike
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Prefer a concrete floor w/ no basement ... laid on the ground.

I've used a grey epoxy based paint ... very hard and resists scratches from scope and offhand stands. Expensive though.

The reason I don't like a suspended or even a wooden floor (slightly suspended) is movement is clearly transmitted. Ever shot in the upper range at USOC? Even that floor bounces some. The 10m line is down the center of the suspension pylons and you can clearly feel someone behind you. Even in a basketball gym the floor will bounce if someone runs behind the shooters.

I have had concrete bounce ... we have a 6" slab, and they were Turbo-packing some land about 25 yds away .... all were laughing at how much their sights bounced even in prone ... almost made you seasick.....
IRBS

air hall

Post by IRBS »

Many ranges do not have a lot of choice about floors etc.. if you do have a choice coarse gravel or other materials that will stop a ricochet are valuable. Soft backing on the wall behind the targets is also helpful. Lights should have some protection from stray pellets.

Ventilation taking any lead dust out downrange away from the shooter is important. A handbasin to wash lead off hands at the back of the firing point is important.

Make sure kids wash hands after handling pellets EVERYTIME. This habit should last them a lifetime.

Posted comments about having a concrete slab were excellent. Don't build next to railway lines helps as well LOL.