aMMO

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

jOHN

aMMO

Post by jOHN »

PLEASE HELP ME, I AM A PRONE SHOOTER FROM MEXICO. MY RIFLE AND AMMO TEST RESULTS WAS 14MM IN 15 SHOTS IN 50M WITH ELEY. wITH THIS AMMO WHAT ARE THE REALISTIC RESULTS I CAN EXPECT IF I AM SHOOTING WELL TECHNICALLY.

CAN I EXPECT HIGH 595 PLUS OR 590 OR LESS.

PLEASE ANSWER THIS WILL HELP ME A LOT, BECAUSE I DONT KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT,

I SAW EMMONS TEST GROUPS AT OTC LAST YEAR AT 3 X AIR AND HE HAD 10.5 MM IN 20 SHOTS.

PLEASE TELL ME
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Well, jOHN, I'm not sure how to answer your question, but here goes-

(a) the ten ring is 10.4mm, and the bullet is 5.56mm. If you're getting 14mm groups center to center, you should be scoring 600!

(b) if you're not scoring 600, and you know the rifle/ammo combination will hold the ten-ring, well, you'll need to hold a bit steadier:-)
John

for GOVTMODEL

Post by John »

thanks for that, but the 14 mm is when u r aiming exactly at one point. Can u always aim and break in the 10.9????
ghilieman

ammo/rifle

Post by ghilieman »

john, you might want to retest your rifle with different types of ammo. In order to do this properly you need to run this as a scientific tests. That means to have a standard, which is your eley with its specific lot number, and to keep your variables constant. Variables like do all your testing in one day, in an indoor range if possible, clean your barrel after each testing, have a friend load your rifle for you so that you dont shoot one ammo better than the others, and fire from a supported position. Be sure to get a wide variety of ammo and get a copy of Ways of the Rifle. This book is absolutely invaluable.
JeroenH

Post by JeroenH »

Hi John,
If I understand correctly, you want to know how tight your groups must be if you want to avoid losing points due to your ammo.

This depends on your performance level, i.e., what you would score when you are shooting well and you had perfectly grouping ammo.

I have done some work on this issue for air rifle. (No .22 @ 50 m examples, but the pattern is the same).
An example. If you have a rifle/pellet combination with an average shot group diameter of 6.75 mm in 3 shots (which is not too good).
- You will lose 9 points compared to perfect ammo, if you would score 595 with perfect ammo.
- In contrast, if your performance is around 500 points, you lose merely 3 points.

Obviously, dropping from 595 to 586 hurts much more than dropping from 503 to 500...
Also, if I were shooting around 500, and knew that I could improve my average score by merely 3 points by using better pellets, I would know that there are many other (and more relevant) issues to work on to improve my performance. It's a long way from 503 to 600...

I hope this helps.
Regards
Jeroen Hogema

For more details:

http://home-2.worldonline.nl/~jhogema/ballist.htm

More specifically: Section 5.2 in
http://home-2.worldonline.nl/~jhogema/sgs/sgs.htm