How can you tell if you have natural skills and that you

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
sharkman

How can you tell if you have natural skills and that you

Post by sharkman »

can become good through practice and learning new techniques?
I dont even have my own pistol yet I am doing some homework before buying the right one for me.
I scored 80 on the test for the license (10 rounds).
Before the exam I was practicing and doing , 65-75.
After the exam I had the chance to be at the ranger again and I was doing not very well which made me wonder if I am really competitive and how much better I can get.
I would like to get into the sport and in the future participate in local tournaments.
My last day at the range was not the best day and brought my morale to the ground.
When you guys started in the sports, the first pistol and the first weeks how did you do? How long it took you to get better?
thanks
Rob

Post by Rob »

First of all, you allready improved from 65-75 up to 80. I'm not sure what your shooting at or with, but your new standard is set at 80. Set "realistic" goals that you can work for. In other words, don't expect to start shooting 99's and 100's, but goals of lets say 85 might be your next short term goal. Your overall goal might be to win a gold medal, but short term goals are needed to focus on your progress to the top. Most of all, have fun shooting!
Dan

Post by Dan »

Sharkman,

i assume you are talking about Air pistol 10 m ? I would have been glad in the beginning to be able to hold the black. An average of 8 as the one you sought took me several weeks to do consistently. Frankly, even in our first team (i.e. the best shooters) in the regional league, the guys may have a bad day and not manage an average of 8.

To become really competetive you have to frequently train 3-4 years at least, imho. Before, you will have one good day and four bad ones and you will be frustrated because you cannot deliver five of five days - but that is normal.

Never allow your results to drag you down or consider stopping to shoot. Someone posted a very helpful approach here some months ago: he wrote that he sees every shot as a scientific experiment he is observing from the outside while being part of it at the same time. Watches the conditions and parameters and then the result. From a distance, you know? All you can do is put your best effort in to it, if it doesnt work theres no need to become depressed.
sharkman

Post by sharkman »

Hi people. Many thanks for the observations.
I am using a borrowed pardini PS (.22 LR)
We shot 25 meters, 10 shots (5x2). I am sure the point system should be the same. Bull eye 10 points and then 9, 8,7,6 etc etc.

I am left handed and I using a right handed pistol but I am feeling confortable.
I like the looks of the Pardini, the FAS 607 I never saw before but I have been offered one. The Whalter looks like a good candidate because you seldom go wrong with whalters.
But, the Pardini, seems to be the right choice.
Many thanks and regards from Spain, decandent spain with our new socilist goverment.... I wish I were in the US