shooting shoes alternative

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
rick lee

Post by rick lee »

went to the local gun shop and found that the prices of pistol shooting shoes are pretty expensive at about 150 us dollars. furthermore they dont fit me as the toe box is too narrow.

i was wondering if there are other types of footwear that can be used as an alternative. i read that some people use skateboarding shoes but i would like to know how they compare to real shooting shoes.

currently i am using normal sports shoes and i hope that i can be more stable with proper footwear.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Don't know about the success factor of other solutions, but why not go for the real thing?

http://www.corami.ch/html/shooting_shoe.html
rick lee

Post by rick lee »

the ones you recommended are not available locally. another thing is that i wear width 4e shoes and have pretty small feet so sizes are a headache.
dlinden

Post by dlinden »

Have a look at Vans - Skateboard shoes. Very comfortable, flat bottoms, way cool styles, great prices.

Dennis Lindenbaum
IPshooter

Re: shooting shoes alternative

Post by IPshooter »

dlinden wrote:Have a look at Vans - Skateboard shoes. Very comfortable, flat bottoms, way cool styles, great prices.
Dennis Lindenbaum
These are definitely the best alternative to the real thing. If you go to an outlet store, you'll probably find a pair that works for about $30 to $50.

The only disadvantage to the Vans is they have very little, if any, heel elevation. And, when you move up to shooting shoes, you will see a real difference there that you will have to get used to. But, shooting shoes do provide a more stable platform over the Vans, so it's worth the upgrade.
Russ

It is no shooting shoes alternative ! :)

Post by Russ »

[PDF] Shooting BootsFile Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
371331. Boot Laces. 371332. Shooting Boots & Shoes. Sauer. Perfect Boots ... The new Sauer Easy Sport Shoes are suited both as casual shoes that are worn ...
nealjguns.com/pdfcatalog/Boots.pdf - Similar pages
Used BootsSauer Shoes Model: Easy Type: ISU Size: 43 In Very Good Condition. 4780.jpg Kustermann - Boots $136.00 U-4780 Size: 37eu Very Good Condition ...
www.nealjguns.com/ss_store/UsedBoots.html - 50k - Cached - Similar pages
[ More results from www.nealjguns.com ]
rick1ee

Post by rick1ee »

i dont feel comfortable buying shoes online when i dont even get to try them on for size.
Russ

Post by Russ »

rick1ee wrote:i dont feel comfortable buying shoes online when i dont even get to try them on for size.
Me too.... :(
So, I still practice in regular shoes ;)
Russ
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

That's probably why the guy at Corami wants a drawing of the outline of your foot. It's the same idea they use at Nill to determine the size of the grip you need - he can determine the size you need from that drawing. There must be something in this idea, at least he sold quite a lot of his shooting shoes at the CISM world champs last week...
rick1ee

Post by rick1ee »

oh is that true? the site page you linked didnt say anything about that. humm looked at the prices and they are actually cheaper than a pair bought locally without accounting for shipping.

too bad i dont understand the language so i guess i will have to take some time looking at the translations.
Weekend Shooter

Post by Weekend Shooter »

low cut Chuck Taylor. Cheapest most stable timeless choice.
rsh945

Shoes

Post by rsh945 »

It has been suggested that bowling shoes do a pretty good job too.
Nano

shooting shoes

Post by Nano »

Try Puma Klim Shoes, these shoes are inspired in climbing shoes, have ruber from front to real and flat sole.
You can search "puma shoes klim" in ebay.

Nano
Mike McDaniel

Post by Mike McDaniel »

Do dedicated shooting shoes really make that much of a difference? Compared to a good pair of walking shoes?

Clearly, there are some shoes that are NOT suitable, but I'm not certain about a dedicated pair of shooting shoes. Particularly when I wind up shooting off grass sometimes.

I ask because I need that last point or two.
TomF

Post by TomF »

No, dedicated shoes are not necessary. Any shoe that will allow you a steady stance will work just fine.

Shoes will not gain you points, unless you have a real shoe problem, in which case you probably cant do anything else in those shoes either. Practice and concentration will do more for your score than any pair of shooting specific shoes.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

HI

I have a pair of athletic shoes that I consider to be a little unbalancing. I would strongly suggest that whatever shoes you wear be flat on the bottom. $8.00 a pair Walmart tennis shoes with the flat bottoms are good enough for pistol.

Just my $0.02

Mike
Wichita KS
cdf

Post by cdf »

Flat deck shoe ( like sperry topsider ) might work . They are flat or nearly so , very grippy/stable , and good for other applications .

Chris
TomF

Post by TomF »

Deck shoes like Sperry Topsiders dont have any support. Even the ones with the thick soles are more round than flat. IMHO not the best choice, but very comfortable.
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

Mike McDaniel wrote:Do dedicated shooting shoes really make that much of a difference? Compared to a good pair of walking shoes?
I wear Vans skateboard shoes, which are probably not as good as dedicated shooting shoes, but they are a fraction of the cost.

I can feel a difference between running shoes and Vans, but I can't see a difference in the score. They might be worth a point or two, but not much more than that. My running/walking shoes have a very soft and pretty thick sole. It feels "bouncy" and a little less stable, but it is a small difference.

When the rules allow (NRA Standard Pistol) I wear lace up hiking boots. Now THAT feels stable.

Steve T (IL)
Benjamin

Re: shooting shoes alternative

Post by Benjamin »

rick lee wrote:currently i am using normal sports shoes and i hope that i can be more stable with proper footwear.
Shooting shoes have a fairly hard sole with first rate support on the edges, often the center area is hollow on the bottom. I use my shooting shoes because I own a pair (often I don't bother), but my experience is that most any stable, hard sole shoe works just as well. Support around the foot on the inside is good I think, but not necessary. A lot of what you need is tactile feedback from the shoe so you can tell immediately when you have started to lean a little.

I don't know what you mean by "sports shoes", but leather sole dress shoes are better than anything with a cushioned bottom that is intended to absorb the stress of running. Good running shoes are like trying to stand on a mattress while you shoot; a bad idea.