Knobloch prescription lenses in Houston area?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
3sevice

Knobloch prescription lenses in Houston area?

Post by 3sevice »

Does anyone know where I can get my prescription plus +.50 & +.75 lenses ground in the Houston area? Or elsewhere if I'm able to send the prescriptions and the lens holder. The optometrist understood what I was looking for and wrote the prescriptions, but the local glasses makers don't seem to have the capability to understand what I want or have the ability to grind a 37mm circle. Thanks for any help.

John
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

I get mine at WalMart (really).
WSmith

Post by WSmith »

Neal Stepp/I.S.S. (877)595-2090 works with a firm in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area that actually keeps a sample of various lens holders on hand, and can provide prescription lenses at a VERY REASONABLE price.

The positive correction lenses (+.25, +.50, +.75) mentioned are standard stock items for target frame and lens providers, so you really shouldn't have to have these specially ground.
Fred

warning

Post by Fred »

I think what 3sevice meant was a prescription lens with a +.50 or so add, in which case it could not be a stock item. Neal Stepp is great to deal with and can indeed get you any shooting lens prescription - and tint! - you want, but you need to be able to give him the correct prescription.

Here is where the problem lies, because the only way your optometrist's prescription will work properly is if the lens on your shooting glasses is the same distance from your eye as was the lens in the testing apparatus. If the total correction is not large, then this may not be too much of a problem, but I can assure you from personal experience that for people with sizable corrections lens-eye distance is critical. In my case, a distance change of about 10mm requires a prescription change of about +/-.50.

So before you call Neal, it would be advisable to figure out what change - if any - is needed to your optometrist's prescription.

HTH,
FredB
3sevice

Knobloch lenses

Post by 3sevice »

Fred & Wsmith,

Thanks a lot for your help. I will call Neal Stepp tomorrow. Fred you're right about my prescription and it not being a stock item. I have around 20/100 vision with an astygmatism in my shooting eye. Thank you both very much,

John Lewis
funtoz

Re: Knobloch lenses

Post by funtoz »

3sevice wrote:Fred & Wsmith,

Thanks a lot for your help. I will call Neal Stepp tomorrow. Fred you're right about my prescription and it not being a stock item. I have around 20/100 vision with an astygmatism in my shooting eye. Thank you both very much,

John Lewis
Lenses with astigmatic correction need special care in mounting. There is a top and bottom to the lens. Mounting it off-axis will not work well. Either have the lens marked plainly for you to install or have them install it and then mark it yourself, just in case you ever need to remove it. Mine wasn't marked and I had a devil of a time getting it back to usable.

Larry
WSmith

Post by WSmith »

Here's my right (dominant) eye correction: SPH -5.25, CYL +5.25. My astigmatism is so strong, my physician says my right eye "looks like a hard boiled egg." Nice guy, eh?

I've had Neal order me lenses with the positive aspherical corrections added to my prescription. The lens will be delivered with a tiny notch at the 3 o'clock position, marking the left/right axis. You may need to adjust the axis slighly by mounting the lens loosely in the holder, then gripping it by the edge, rotating it a few degrees until your sights are sharp.
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

I also have an astigmatism in my right eye. I had great trouble focusing during a recent open and my scores were well down. Fortunately I went back to my optometrist who checked the lens and found that it had rotated in the holder (no doubt during travel). He told me anything more than 5% off true and I'll have trouble.
I have put a spot of paint to mark vertical so I can identify the problem should it arise again.
Oh, yes, with the lens rotated to the correct position, my scores improved rapidly. They had been dropping for about a month as the lens slowly rotated away from its true position.
rick lee

Post by rick lee »

i read that an adjustable iris helps astigmatism maybe you could try that out.
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

Yeah, thanks Rick
I have one of those but I haven't really experimented much because of the struggle with the lens.
Shot air pistol last night with one of my best score in years, so having the lens turned has made the difference. Our range has good lighting so I tend not to keep the iris wide open. When I shoot at open events at other ranges, I find the different lighting or color hue from side walls etc can affect my shooting and then I tend to use the iris a bit more.
Neil Foster

Knobloch

Post by Neil Foster »

I also got my lens from Neal Stepp at ISS. He was GREAT to deal with and fast as well. The cost of the Rx lens was a deal. I also have astigmatism and the lens came with a tiny notch on the rim. If I remember correctly Neal said the notch shoild be at either the 3 O'clock position or 9 o'clock.
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

That's 180 degree of turn. I'm not sure you can have it at both positions.