FWB 2602 short barrel

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

FWB 26

FWB 2602 short barrel

Post by FWB 26 »

I own a FWB 2602 short barrel 24mm O.D. in aluminium stock. The rifle has fired roughly 20000 rounds.
I use the rifle for 3p and prone. I have had great results, but lately I have had very poor results. I have tested the rifle in a controlled ammunition testing range with the barrelled action in the stock and with the barrelled action in an action clamp(machine vice) and the results are poor.
I have tried with the barrel tube on and off(Clean tube), still no difference. It shoots anything from 15mm O.D. ten shot groups to 30mm O.D. ten shot groups, I have tried various ammunition from Eley Tenex Ultimate EPS to SK Rifle Match with no constancy. It strings the shots vertical, horizontal and diagonal. I have tried cleaning with a bronze brush and patches, to not cleaning, it seems to make no difference. My next option is to get the barrel recrowned, but I don't think that is the problem. I'am at a loss, help!

Post by Guest »

It Usually is just a matter of cleaning. Before this, how often have you claned the rifle?

Post by Guest »

Also, how was it cleaned?
j.edwards

Post by j.edwards »

I had a similar problem with my 2602. When I first owned it, I subscribed to the old school theory that cleaning .22's only wears out the barrel. What I didn't know was that the carbon-like deposits on the muzzle face are hydrophilic (water loving) and promote corrosion on the non blued surface of the lands and grooves at the crown.

After a thorough cleaning, I examined the muzzle crown with a Hawkeye Borescope, only to find slight pitting in the lands right at the crown. I have several rifles that I routinely examine with the borescope. It provides a very clear picture of conditions within the barrel at an almost microscopic level. The pits were not able to be detected with the naked eye. I would inspect the barrel before you have work done. You may be able to find a nearby gunsmith or gunshop that has one. They're kinda pricey, but mine has been worth every penny.
FWB 26

Post by FWB 26 »

Thanks J.Edwards.
When I clean the barrel and look at it with a magnifying glass I can see slight pitting on the lands also. Is your 2602 a short barrel ? What are your experiences with your rifle(good or bad)? and what did you do to fix your rifle?
Thanks very much for your time!
j.edwards

Post by j.edwards »

My 2602 is a short barrel. I love this rifle and have no intention of replacing it. Arguably, the most accurate rifles in the world are benchrest rifles that tend to have short (20") thick barrels. Theoretically, barrel whip and harmonics are reduced producing a more accurate rifle. Practical accuracy may be another story. To my knowledge a longer sight radius is an advantage, especially in prone, but reduced barrel time, as with lock time, may be a significant advantage in standing. It is interesting that Feinwerkbau has apparently discontiued production of the short barrel system.
After a really good cleaning, I tested the rifle from a machine rest. It return to shooting 10 shot groups equal to the test target supplied by the factory. I think I was really fortunate that the pitting had not gotten bad enough to deteriorate the accuracy.
I don't want to belabor the issue of borescope inspection, but it is absolutely amazing what that instrument is capable of revealing. There may be other hidden problems inside the barrel. Additionally, I defy anyone to prove to me that a rifle is actually clean without the use of a borescope. Anyone can show me all the clean patches he want, but I guarentee that I can look in that barrel with a borescope and find crud and fouling that has been missed. I still encourage you to get the bore inspected before having work done.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

If it is only the crown area then fixing it should be just a matter of getting it recrowned. Not a big deal really.