What makes you feel great (in shooting) ?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

RobStubbs

What makes you feel great (in shooting) ?

Post by RobStubbs »

I'm not sure the title captures my thoughts but whilst down the range tonight I got to wondering why we shoot, what gives us that warm fuzzy feeling and what really makes you feel great ! ? OK I wasn't exactly concentrating on my shooting but the gun wasn't as steady as I would have liked and it was a bit of struggle - so I packed up quicker than planned.

Anyway back on topic; For me it's a sense of winning, be that physically winning a match or my class, or winning my personal match/goal. For the latter that may be shooting a technically good match or training session, winning the mental game after that early match blip, or just trying my best for the entire match and not just trying to get off the range soonest - when it seems like an uphill struggle. Equally beating a competition PB is great, but especially so when it feels easy to do. Now that's only happened once to me when it felt like everything was fine for the whole 60 shots.

So what gives you the 'buzz' ?

Rob.
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

+1 on all that you said.

My main sense of accomplishment is two fold: in the short term is shooting a match with a lesser amount of mistakes than the last one. That obviously translates into a higher score. In the long term, it means climbing up the classification ladder and achieving certain honors.

An example of long term goals accomplished are making Master in NRA Highpower and earning my first points in pursuit of the Distinguished Rifleman badge this year. That was after two years of effort. Longer term goals in that discipline are becoming a High Master, a Distinguished Rifleman, and earning a place in the "President's Hundred".

I am a smallbore beginner, so my long term goal is to make Expert next year. Eventually I would like to also earn a Distinguished Smallbore Rifleman award, but that is an incredibly tall order.

Post by Guest »

Seeing improvement, in any small way. That gives me energy to continue on.

The occassional 10.9 is a real buzz.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

That about sums it up for me! :)
Bill177

Looks that does sum it up

Post by Bill177 »

Yep - a pinwheel does do it for me also. The only thing better than a pinwheel is a whole bunch of pinwheels.
BOOKER

Post by BOOKER »

To the original poster, I shoot just for the joy of knowing that I am in total control of the situation, every mistake is mine, I don't have to blame anyone for the results, it is just me and my performance, my own fault or success, to compete against myself.

And the list goes on 'n on 'n on.

My 2 cents
EmveBe

fun or tension

Post by EmveBe »

I don't like shooting one bullet, look and try again, for me that's boring. What I like is rapid fire. 5 shots in the same amount of seconds, placing on 5 cards as exactly as possible.
That's my kind of exiting fun. I'm not good at it but every time when shooting you feel the tension to get to the 5th card before the 5th second is over. (I know, official you do have more time but I don't care for the official rules, the faster the more tense).
Or shooting at a given order like hitting first card 1, then 5 then 2,4 and 3, all in 5 seconds.
Are there people who like that kind of shooting also?
Jose Rossy

Re: fun or tension

Post by Jose Rossy »

EmveBe wrote:Are there people who like that kind of shooting also?
Yes, I do too. My favorite shooting discipline is US NRA Highpower Rifle, where the match includes two rapid fire segments, one from sitting at 200 yds, and one from prone at 300. Ten shots in 60 and 70 seconds respectively, with a magazine change.

But my favorite buzz is shooting Xs (eg 10.9) with an AR15 (223 Remington) prone at 600 yards (the last segement of a HP rifle match).
TWP

Post by TWP »

Well I'm a fairly poor shooter. I don't shoot that often, maybe a match or two a year. So my excitement level when I shoot is fairly low. Mostly because I have low expectations of my own shooting.

But what gets me excited is seeing the kids I coach progress. There is nothing more rewarding to me then seeing a young shooter have a break through and their scores take a big jump. The look on a young shooters face when they bring me a target like the one Sparks showed makes it worth while.
Basar Baypinar

Post by Basar Baypinar »

Nobody can reach 600 top score in AP shooting yet. In Air rifle shooting this score already accomplished from many shooters. So, I guest biggest challange of AP shooting just is...(meanwhile I also agree with 10.9's great ego satisfaction)May be all of us shall not reach this top score but hope and hard working are key words/points at this point...May be not but also we CAN !!! I do believe this score not unreachable (I know on the other hand ıt's soooooooooooo difficult) But also I sometimes feel that if somebody has already get this score, I guess I would not shoot eager/aggrassive as now. I mean for example bowling don't have any challange for me because most of people already reached top score (300)The thinging/feeling of "I can make history" sounds good...

:)))))
Başar...
RobStubbs

Re: fun or tension

Post by RobStubbs »

EmveBe wrote:I don't like shooting one bullet, look and try again, for me that's boring. What I like is rapid fire. 5 shots in the same amount of seconds, placing on 5 cards as exactly as possible.
That's my kind of exiting fun. I'm not good at it but every time when shooting you feel the tension to get to the 5th card before the 5th second is over. (I know, official you do have more time but I don't care for the official rules, the faster the more tense). Are there people who like that kind of shooting also?
I too shoot different pistol disciplines but here in the UK they are all shot with 5-shot air pistols. I shoot sport/centrefire, standard and rapid fire - the latter at both the normal distance as well as the shortened 10M version that we have sort of adopted in the UK.

I like the above events as they make a pleasant change from the precision events. The change of timings, different cards, burst of actvity - all give you a different buzz - especially in rapidfire when you get a decent set of five shots in the 4 second series (Note ISSF Rapid fire timings are 8/6/4 seconds).

Rob.
aim4au

Re: What makes you feel great (in shooting)?

Post by aim4au »

I get the "buzz" from a number of sources when I shoot.

Comaraderie: Having friends who aren't just great people but who also have a common interest in what we do and how I do it.

Peace of Mind: When I have a bad day at work or generally speaking, I either go shooting or concentrate on great shooting. By focusing on one shot matches, this lets me "forget" my bad day and realize that all is still OK in my world. Even when I don't shoot well, I focus on the issue at hand, rather than the possible result. I now use this same approach in everyday life.

Coaching: When I get the rare chance to assist a developing shooter, seeing what they can accomplish gives me a sense of accomplishment too.
EdStevens

Post by EdStevens »

I shoot bullseye pistol. I'm always struggling with consistency in my shooting; to me it's like a puzzle with no solution that I can find. Every time I think I've figured out what is required to repeat good shots it stops working. Trying to get my subconscious mind to execute a good shot again and again is (for me) extremely difficult. Oddly, I find this both frustrating and very entertaining. I guess if every shot was a ten I'd quit (no worries about that happening). The challenge just fascinates me, though.

I've also come to realize that bullseye shooting is also extremely therapeutic for me. Focusing on relaxing and shooting for a couple of hours always leaves me feeling good and at peace with the world. It is in fact my prime method for decompressing from the stresses and problems of everyday life. While non-shooters think that the concept of shooting a gun to relax is contradictory, it really is perfectly sensible and healthy. Who needs drugs to relax? Get a gun instead!
ProneKing

Why I shoot?

Post by ProneKing »

I shoot for the personal challenge. Secondary to this is the travel, great friends, representing my country, and it is the only thing I'm really good at...plus it beats the heck out of work.

EU
F. Paul in Switzerland

Post by F. Paul in Switzerland »

Ed,

You hit the nail on the head and then buried it! I have never been able to convey to my wife why shooting is so relaxing. After she read your post she is still not convinced but at least she knows I'm in good company.

Paul
rick lee

Post by rick lee »

wow didnt know other felt the same towards shooting as me too. i feel very relaxed after shooting. kind of the same after meditation only difference is when i shoot i am actually perfecting a visible skill.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

rick lee wrote:wow didnt know other felt the same towards shooting as me too. i feel very relaxed after shooting. kind of the same after meditation only difference is when i shoot i am actually perfecting a visible skill.
I don't know meditation but I do know it is a relaxation type practice. The reason it has the same affect is because you stop thinking about day to day life and stressors. In shooting it is because you are focussed on the shot routine, in meditation it is (I assume) because you are purging your mind of external thoughts - both acheiving a similar state of 'relaxation' or perhaps better put as distraction techniques.

Rob.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

If it's so relaxing then how come you shoot a match and feel totally drained.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

David Levene wrote:If it's so relaxing then how come you shoot a match and feel totally drained.
David,
That is a very good question. I guess though when we (very rarely) have that blinding shoot where it all goes great - you can't miss the ten ring and you get to the end of the shoot and realise that you put in a cracking score. That is when you get that really satisfying buzz - or alternatively that's when you wake up and it's all been a dream ;-)

Rob.
F. Paul

Post by F. Paul »

If it's so relaxing then how come you shoot a match and feel totally drained.
David:

It's no different than sex or a great 5 mile run. Either will leave you feeling drained but good (if done right). :-)

F. Paul