Lookin for a new air pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
AJ008

Lookin for a new air pistol

Post by AJ008 »

Been shootin' my coaches Walther CP2 and its a great gun but its Co2 and is getting worn out.
Anyone want to offer some adivse on what the BEST air pistol is these days? What is the smoothest, comfertable, adjustable and accurate? What has won the most events?
Lookin for the best thing I can hold when I go to shoot in the '08 Olympics *wink wink*
Aslo what are some rough price quotes?
David Levene

Re: Lookin for a new air pistol

Post by David Levene »

AJ008 wrote:Anyone want to offer some adivse on what the BEST air pistol is these days?
Although the majority of air pistols used in large international matches are either Morini or Steyr, I have previously posted the following in an earlier thread:-

Can I suggest that you should read the many threads on this subject already posted on this board.

You will see that there is no such thing as THE BEST pistol. All you can hope for is that you find the pistol that suits you best.

With apologies to any I may have missed, air pistols from the following manufacturers are normally considered to be of high quality (and therefore worth considering):-

Anschutz
Benelli
FAS
Feinwerkbau
Match Guns
Morini
Pardini
SAM
Steyr
Walther
TomF

Post by TomF »

IZH-46!

The quality is fantastic. It is not pretty but it shoots as well as all the ones you listed.
AJ008

Post by AJ008 »

What are some of the better models by those companies?
How good is the Walther LP300?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

AJ008 wrote:What are some of the better models by those companies?
How good is the Walther LP300?
Anschutz - LP@
Benelli - Kite
FAS - 609
Feinwerkbau - P40
Hammerli - AP40
Match Guns - MG1
Morini - 162EI (electronic trigger) or 162MI (mechanical trigger)
Pardini - K2
SAM - K15
Steyr - LP10
Walther - LP300

All of the above are extremely accurate pistols.
None have any major reliability issues.
All have pre-charged cylinders (air or CO2) so match fatigue is reduced.
The availability of guns, spares and support depends on where you live.
The major difference is whether they suit you and you like the way they feel.

As I said earlier, Steyr and Morini are the most common at major international matches. That could have something to do with the level of manufacturer support at those matches or it could just be that more top shooters like the way they feel.

The only way to find out if you will like a gun is to try one.
RJP

Walther LP 300

Post by RJP »

[What are some of the better models by those companies?
How good is the Walther LP300?]

I have been shooting a Walther LP300 for several years now. The LP300 has all the state of the art features such as 3-way adjustable grips, compensator, and blow holes on the top of the barrel. It is very accurate, keeping all the pellets in a single hole slightly larger than a pellet diameter at 10 meters when held in a rest.

Over the years, the only mechanical problems I had with the gun were a leaking cyclinder (replaced under warrenty) and the trigger would not hold adjustments (replaced with a newer design trigger by Walther).

The main difference between the airpstols listed above is the feel of the grips and the trigger. The LP300 has a very crisp trigger. The Morini and Steyr feel much softer to me.

As noted above, the world class shooters seem to prefer Steyr and electronic Morini for top level competition. But occasionally, I see a Walther, Pardini or FWB in the equipment lists of top shooters.
Adonis Spyros

IZH-46M replacement grips

Post by Adonis Spyros »

I just purchased a new IZH-46M & the grips are not as anatomical as i want them..Which company/ies has the best bang for the back on grips?(match level if possible).Thank you:)
TomF

Post by TomF »

Dremel!
Lanning R. Hochhauser

IZH-46M replacement grips

Post by Lanning R. Hochhauser »

TomF wrote:Dremel!

Tom, its my favorite grip maker.

I laughed out loud when I read your answer.
TomF

Post by TomF »

Yep!

As I always say, a Dremel should never be in the same room with a gun!

A friend of mine says the only use for a Dremel is to put an eraser tip in the chuck and run it at low speed and use it as an electric pencil eraser. Erasing mistakes on paper is better than creating them on a gun.

But like the rest of the gun hacks, it is my #1 tool. LOL!