Another Training Topic

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Fred Mannis

Another Training Topic

Post by Fred Mannis »

I've been re-reading Anatoliy Piddubnyy's training articles (posted here on Target Talk Shooters Omnibus), especially the section on shooting from a rest while seated. Putting together a suitable 'seat + rest' will require a little work, so am interested in comments from any one who has tried this technique. Have they found it to be useful? I was thinking about it in terms of trying to separate the effects of 'sway' from the effects of sight alignment on one's hold area.
Fred
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Fred:

I use a kitchen chair- put a pillow on a rolling butcher's block deal (my shooting bench; momma makes me roll it away for company!). Slouching a little bit in the chair, resting my arm on the pillow.

Generally I do this for dry fire against a blank surface or a bull target. I use this to isolate trigger control while maintaining sight alignment from all the other distractions.

Amazing to see also in dry fire- what happens to the front sight over the entire trigger travel when your finger position/grip isn't exactly right! Dry fire takes away the distraction of the shot also.

I wholeheartetdly endorse these drills for technique refinement!

Steve Swartz
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Thanks for the reply. I am going to give it a try. Rolling kitchen cart as a shooting bench.....sounds good. Will see what the local Target has.

Sent you a question a few days ago on a different thread - 'Shooting VS. Practice - How Much Of Both?' but it probably got swamped in the recent burst of static here on TT. You might take a look. Has to do with the best of use a RIKA for training.

Be well
Fred
Bill177

Not by the book, but..

Post by Bill177 »

I have a 6-meter target set against the wall on the other side of the office and shoot from my desk chair. It has proved useful for trigger control and for sight picture (focus on the front sight) work.

It does allow me to do an extra 50-100 shots a day. It also keeps others from entering the office - that is a good thing.

The trap is a "Duct-Seal" built in my shop of pine, stained, and varnished - with a left and right side channel to drop the target into.