Walther GSP/C or Hammerli SP20RRS in .32cal

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Rick

Walther GSP/C or Hammerli SP20RRS in .32cal

Post by Rick »

Was wondering if anyone has had any experiences (good or bad) with either the Walther GSP/C Expert or the Hammerli SP20RRS in .32Cal.
I will be using it primarily for NRA Bullseye Competition. Would appreciate any insight as most of the shooters on my team use 1911's for the Centerfire matches. Nothing against the 1911, but I wanted to try a .32 semi-auto for that particular event.

Thanks

Rick
Mike McDaniel

Post by Mike McDaniel »

I don't shoot a Walther or SP-20, but do shoot a Hammerli 280. So I can shed some light.

The range is critical. The .32 is fine at 25 yards/meters, but tends to keyhole at 50 yards. Part of this is suspected to be too slow a twist in the barel - the Europeans tend toward a 1-18 twist, when those wadcutters need about a 1-12 to 1-14. There was an article in American Rifleman about 12 years ago on this - a bullseye shooter wound up having a custom barrel made for his GSP-C with a 1-14 twist.

Recoil is an advantage, but not as much of one as you might think. I've found that the .32 has a disproportionate recoil compared to softball .45 loads. On the other hand, the only .32 I've shot is the Hammerli 280, and other guns may well do better. Particularly with the new recoil reducers.

Cost is a wash.

The one really nice thing about the European .32s is that you can get a brass catcher. Strap that thing onto the gun, and you never play Hunchback of the Pistol Range again. Very convenient.

FWIW, I would buy a .32 again, but probably not the Hammerli 280. The first series of .32 caliber 280s had problems - they will throw a wild shot, usually the first one. Later ones are reported to have solved this. IIRC, the later ones have one fitting at the front, not two. I've no idea if the SP-20 has solved this issue. At this time, I'd be looking at the SP-20, the Walther, or the Pardini. Probably check with Earl's and see if their custom barrels have a faster twist, which I'd bet they do. Although there is a strong case for waiting for the new Walther SSP to come out in .32, or the Pardini HPE with the electronic trigger. If you're willing to be the guinea pig for these guns.

Your other option is to snag a Pardini GT45. Don Nygord was reporting that those pistols were working very, very well. Or you could try the trusty old S&W Model 52.
dhurt

Post by dhurt »

I have a Walther .32 that I shoot at 50yds. It shoots fairlly well with a home cast Lee bullet that has, sadly, been discontinued. It is a 80 grain wadcutter that looks like their tumble lube semiwadcutter with the nose missing. I have not had any luck with the hollowbase wadcutters at 50 yards. The cast bullet, with 1.5 grains of Bullseye, shoots pretty easy with little recoil. At 25 yds, there isn't much excuse to not shoot clean scores. I usually manage upper 90's and sometimes clean one. Still working on an excuse I guess. The hollow base wadcutters will shoot very well in my GSP at 25 yds. Recoil is much less than a .45, more like a hot .22. I suppose the nose heavy GSP helps keep recoil down. For the .45, I did get hold of a Pardini GT 45 with the Doctor sight, and I like it ten times better than any of my 1911's. It still kicks, but feels more like a 9mm, and it tracks back to the target faster. Lots of guys can really shoot that 1911 well (disgustingly well), but for me, the grip angle of the Pardini is more natural. I just don't practise bullseye and I only shoot a few matches a year, but, I think I could see shooting the GT 45 for the centerfire as well, unless your like me, and like to fool with more pistols than we need! Happy shooting.
EdStevens

Post by EdStevens »

I shoot a Hammerli SP-20 (pre RRS) in .22 and .32. Two other club members also shoot Hammerlis (one RRS and one pre like mine), while four or five others have the Walther GSP in .32. I don't think there is much to choose between them in terms of accuracy. I am told that the GSP is renowned for its accuracy in .32; moreso than that for the same model in .22 and take their word for it.

I will say that the early model Hammerlis are delicate in comparison to the Walther IMO. Now, they have made improvements to the design even since the early RRS models came out, so it may not be much of a problem anymore, but all three of us have had to send the guns in for repair; something the Walther owners so far as I know have not had to do. Broken receivers, cracked frames and on the RRS a broken rear sight. MAY not be a problem now, but worth being advised, I think.
Steve

Walther/Hammerli

Post by Steve »

Listen to Ed...Everything breaks on the SP20 and by the look of the replacement parts I have received, hammerli hasn't fixed it yet. Three plus club members have broken something.
original slide and replacement have both cracked .22 and .32
frame cracked
recoil buffer screw broken too many times
refit barrel to match new slides
even the grip has two cracks along magazine receiver
If you really want a SP20, I'll fish mine out of the river for you!
-search for "retired SP20" and good shooting.[/url]