question about shoot with different pellets

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Basar Baypinar

question about shoot with different pellets

Post by Basar Baypinar »

Hi everybody,

I'm an AP shooter;my pistol is Steyr LP10. In the Steyr manual;firm suggests 4.49 mm pellet for my pistol (according to test paper which is in the manual). At my home practises I use 4.49 pellet but also in my poligon practises, my coach give to me a 4.5 pellets. It would be an handikap for my groups; would 4.49 VS 4.5 pellets make a big differences for groups? If "yes" what is the effects? Am I have to use same pellets always..

Thanks a lot for your kind feedbacks
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

The simple answer is every gun is different and the only way to find out which it prefers is to shoot some test groups with the gun (in a test rig). I would always stick to the same size pellets and I will always buy mine in bulk to keep the same batch. That said I doubt you'd notice much difference between 4.49 and 4.50 - unless the former were just slightly loose.

Rob.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

If you had an absolutely perfect shot process, the difference would be very slight (so as to be negligable) and would not really matter.

[think about it- we are talking about a randomly distributed point error around a centroid (gun capability) overlapped on top of a randomly distributed curve error (human capability). The errors would not necessarily cumulate in a completely negative way.]

On the other hand, in the real world, the amount of randomly distributed error intorduced by a 4.50 pellet against a 4.49 pellet would be totally overwhelmed by your personal behavior.

Bottom line: high quality ("match grade") pellets in a high quality ("match grade") gun are pretty much all you need to worry about.

Ever*

Steve Swartz

*Note: I am ignoring the psychological effects of your belief system. If you *believe* that X will help you shoot better, the placebo effect will ensure that if you are denied X, you will shoot worse. So if your belief system places great importance on pellet brand, lot, size, weight etc. then by all means this *will* have an effect on your shooting. On your mental game, specifically.
TomF

Re: question about shoot with different pellets

Post by TomF »

Basar Baypinar wrote:Hi everybody,

I'm an AP shooter;my pistol is Steyr LP10. In the Steyr manual;firm suggests 4.49 mm pellet for my pistol (according to test paper which is in the manual). At my home practises I use 4.49 pellet but also in my poligon practises, my coach give to me a 4.5 pellets. It would be an handikap for my groups; would 4.49 VS 4.5 pellets make a big differences for groups? If "yes" what is the effects? Am I have to use same pellets always..

Thanks a lot for your kind feedbacks
No. You could put just about any quality target gun in a vise and fire any pellet at 10m and every pellet would go into a hole probably no larger than .25" with the caveat of a small differnece in POI for different weights.

I know that statment will probably upset some, but I have found that you can even put a pellet in a Morini backward and it still hits the 10 ring.

Beyond 10m, target pistols poop out really fast in accuracy.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

TomF wrote: Beyond 10m, target pistols poop out really fast in accuracy.
Actually that isn't true. I shoot at 10M, 20Y and 25M with both my air pistols and there's no obvious loss of accuracy. I know some people use lighter pellets at 25M with guns like the morini which tend to have a slightly lower power / velocity but my Steyrs are fine with normal pellets.

Rob.
Basar Baypinar

Post by Basar Baypinar »

Thanks a lot all of you for your kind feedbacks;ıt's very usefull for me..
TomF

Post by TomF »

RobStubbs wrote:
TomF wrote: Beyond 10m, target pistols poop out really fast in accuracy.
Actually that isn't true. I shoot at 10M, 20Y and 25M with both my air pistols and there's no obvious loss of accuracy. I know some people use lighter pellets at 25M with guns like the morini which tend to have a slightly lower power / velocity but my Steyrs are fine with normal pellets.

Rob.
Do the pellets still go thru the same hole at 25m with a target pistol???

Well, I actually meant compared to the 10m accuracy. The BC of a pellet and the slow initial velocity of a target gun do not make for great accuracy beyond 10m.

However, in higher velocity rifles, 800-900 fps, I have shot at a 30 caliber bullet hole at 50m and the pellets will go thru the hole with a little help from sandbags.