Why upgrade from the Baikal IZH-46m?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jlochey

Why upgrade from the Baikal IZH-46m?

Post by jlochey »

I have the Baikal IZH-46m as many may have gathered.

I love it, it shoots better than I can, and may always continue to do so.

That being said, why would anyone upgrade?

Seems like a dumb question, but I'd really like to hear everyone's answers and reasons that they upgraded.

Wondering if most just upgrade because they can! ; )

Thanks,

John
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Why upgrade?

Make a list of all the characteristics that are desirable in a match gun, then delete the word "Accuracy." AFAIK, the Baikal is just as accurate as any other match gun out there. To use a grossly misused and inaccurate phrase "They All Shoot Better Than You Do" [sic]. Personally, my criteria for "accuracy" (precision, really) might be different from yours.

But that's not the point.

Go back to that list and then consider all of the other characteristics of what is desirable in a match gun. Then make a completely objective comparison of all the featuers on that list to other guns and see how the Baikal stacks up.

Not in terms of "good enough for me" but in terms of "better than Brand X."

It would be an interesting exercise.

What would the list consist of?

Ergonomics?
Reliability?
Adjustability?
Trigger Quality?
Balance?
Grip Conformance?
Maintenance?
Ease of Use?
etc.

Your list might be different- or you may have definitions of "good enough" that are different- from other shooters.

Nobody *needs* a Porsche- a Yugo is fine ("Moves Faster Than I Do") but that doesn't mean the Porsche has no utility or value over a Yugo.

Steve Swartz
jlochey

Thanks Steve!

Post by jlochey »

That is THE BEST response I've EVER received on a question that I have posted!

Thank you!

Just curious, what do you shoot?

If money was not a prob, I'd be looking at a Morini or Steyr, although, sometimes a question if they really ARE the cream of the crop(?).

John
James

Post by James »

I would still be shooting a izh 46m, and i love the gun.

Problem: Its heavy.

at nearly 3 lbs, I can't shoot a whole match with it.

Despite the creepy trigger, I shoot very well with it, and i almost like the trigger. Less jerking.

Saying a gun is bad because of the grips is a very poor reason.

The grips are not part of the gun...and can be easily modifyed and replaced.

I shoot a benelli kite now.
scragglepoint

how do you like the benelli kite?

Post by scragglepoint »

James wrote: I shoot a benelli kite now.
how do you like the benelli kite ?
I was looking at one the other day.
I used to shoot a benelli M95E and unfortunately sold it for a hamerlli SP20.
that was a huge honker of a mistake for me. and I was thinking of going back to the benelli.

TIA, Dave
James

Post by James »

The benelli kite is good, i like it.

The nill grips fit well.

It has a pellet probe, you dont have to manually insert pellet.

Dryfire mode.

Very efficient. about 130 shots so far and still 100 bar left from 175 bar. Its advertised at 200 or so shots.

I dont know about accuracy, didn't come with test target, but i'll bench rest it friday.

Its very light. I think it's up there with the more expensive guns. at half the price of a morini, I think its a good deal.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Thanks- I always hope my comments are value-added.

I went with the Morini electronic after evaluating several major pieces of equipment.

I had to have

- absolutely best triggering process possible
- barn door front sight and infinitely adjustable rear sight
- single (not ragged) hole groups
- natural point of aim ergonomics
- PCP for ease, reliability, etc.
- Light weight, nose heavy balance

Steve Swartz
Benjamin McLeod

Re: Why upgrade from the Baikal IZH-46m?

Post by Benjamin McLeod »

Wondering if most just upgrade because they can! ; )

Absolutely! Although my house and my car are both good, I can't afford the "best" of either of these. I would also not be able to afford the "best" custom engraved shotgun, not that I know why anyone shoots such things anyway. But in handguns, I not only own the best anyone makes, but more than one. Marvelous!

I started with a Daisy. Although it is nothing like the Baikal, when I decided to buy "the best" based on specifications only, I bought a Morini with electronic trigger. It took a long time before I could equal the Daisy scores; I think the extra weight of the built in Daisy air pump, same as the one on the Baikal, helps a lot, at least for me. I gave the Daisy to a relative because I wasn't using it, but it is still a good gun to shoot once one learns to shoot it in spite of the trigger. With the Baikal the trigger is actually good.

Later I decided that lack of an actual very best air pistol would not keep me off the Olympic team. Since recoil compensators were then available, I bought both a Steyr and a FWB. These are not like the air compensators that only make the barrel appear more still; they allow the air to compress between the pellet and another weight in the back, so that the "equal and opposite reaction" of the forward moving pellet is compensated by the rearward movement of the back weight and any movement of the gun occurs only after the pellet is gone. Especially for the Steyr, this really works excellently. However, I still get my best scores with the Morini because the trigger is more important than the other features (no not good enough for the Olympic team yet although I have won a couple of state championship matches), and have since sold the Steyr, largely because I could get more money for it than the FWB, but also because I just like the FWB better because it is a little heavier and a lot prettier. Sure I could have added weight to the Steyr, but I didn't need to do that because I already had the others and never intended to keep all three.

I have tried a Baikal, I bought one for a present and shot it myself until Giftmas arrived. If you think you would enjoy shooting the best air pistol made, buy a Morini or other top model. But don't expect your scores to go up unless you yourself are learning to shoot better anyway. I am reasonably sure that the reason Baikals don't win major matches is because the major shooters are firing something else, not because the major shooters would not be able to win with a Baikal.
jlochey

Benjamin, can I email...

Post by jlochey »

Benjamin,

Can I email you directly with some questions?

John (this was my original post)
CharlesC

Post by CharlesC »

I didn't like the angle of the grips on my old Baikal IZH-46 so I developed an easy way to make them adjustable for rake. If anyone is interested I'll remove the grips and shoot a couple of pictures for you.
TomF

Post by TomF »

How about posting the pictures here.

Or send me a copy.

Thanks!