STEYR Sear Engagement Adjustment

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
TimTam

STEYR Sear Engagement Adjustment

Post by TimTam »

Hi,

If for some reason, the sear engagement screw (marked as do not touch) of a STYER LP 10 is moved, what is the correct way of adjusting the sear? I've read previously that the sear is adjusted by first turning the trigger stop screw a couple of rounds anti-clockwise and then cock the pistol and turn the sear adjustment screw clockwise till the pistol fires. Then back it up a quarter of a turn anti-clockwise. Is this how it is done at the factory? I'm asking this is because we do not have any factory trained gunsmith at our club and it is a hassle to send the pistols to an authorised gunsmith in the country.

Appreciate any help. Thanks.
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

yes, you have the outline of what you need to do
scerir

Re: STEYR Sear Engagement Adjustment

Post by scerir »

A quarter of a turn anti-clockwise, that is 90°, is too much. Try 70°/75°. That should be much better.
Warren

Post by Warren »

Not sure what you mean by much better. It will be a little crisper, but I believe one of the major advantages of the Steyr trigger is the subtle and smooth roll on release. 90 degrees is a good, safe sear setting. Reducing it may leave the sears hanging on a knife edge. This may make it unsafe, may make it vary, and may cause long-term damage to the edges of the sears.
scerir

Post by scerir »

Warren wrote:Not sure what you mean by much better. It will be a little crisper, but I believe one of the major advantages of the Steyr trigger is the subtle and smooth roll on release.
Yes. Well, *both* the LP10 I'm using have (after very careful measurement) a 70° counterclockwise setting of that sear engagement screw. I mean, the *original* setting, by Steyr, was precisely 70°, and not 90°. I do not know if they, at Steyr, made a wrong setting (twice) :-)

After many years of shooting now I'm inclined to think that one of the major advantages of the Steyr (LP10) is its crisp, very dry trigger (when that screw is turned 70° anticlockwise). I also tried a 50° setting, but it was too 'short' for me. I also tried a 90° setting but it was too long and smooth for me (errors up and down every shot).

I'm also inclined to think (this could be a bit ... philosophical, I apologize) that when the trigger is crisp and dry the action of the finger, on the trigger tongue, is *isometric*. When the trigger is smooth the action of the finger, on the trigger tongue, is *isotonic*. That might be meaningful, or not, I do not know.

Regards,
Serafino