What is the correct way to set your pistol for 10M

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
darticus

What is the correct way to set your pistol for 10M

Post by darticus »

Bore Laser, vise, or shoot and adjust.Gun has to be set first,Right?Just looking for opinions.What do the pro say?
Bill177

Groups?

Post by Bill177 »

Shoot groups, then move them around with sight adjustments.

All that locking the pistol down will prove is that it can shoot "one holers." You cannot set your sights that way, as the sight picture will change as soon as you pick the gun up to properly hold it.

Am I missing something here or was I just suckered in?
darticus

Re: Groups?

Post by darticus »

Not suckered in! Newbie looking for good advice!Thanks Ron
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Pick up the gun, shoot it and move the sights accordingly. That's pretty much it.

Rob.
Denis

Post by Denis »

You'll know the good shots.

The trigger feels like it releases itself.
The muzzle doesn't move. (LP10)
The sights remain in perfect alignment and at point of aim after the shot is gone.

Adjust your point of impact to reflect these shots.
Don't chase your tail with anything less.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Don:

One more tip- you can speed things up (particularly if you have a sloppy hold and difficulty calling your shots) by getting a stepladder.

Place the stepladder in such a way that you can rest the base of the gun while standing in your normal shooting position. Shoot a three shot group while paying particular attention to sight alignment (aim not so much). Adjust sights and repeat.

On a side note- it is fascinating is how a new shooter's point of impact may change slightly from the "natural but rested" method to the "natural and stressed" method.

Anyhow, you should be within a few millimeters with the stepladder of where your center of impact will be freehand; assuming, of course, your technique is o.k. Goofy grip, focus/alignment, trigger etc. stuff will cause the rested to freehand groups to vary.

Steve Swartz
Bill177

So here I was............

Post by Bill177 »

standing on the top of this 10 foot tall step ladder, trying to balance and shoot at the same time. And, I am very afraid of heights - so I hollered for Arlene to come and grab the ladder to hold it still.

Well, she came bounding down the hall and around the corner, grabbed the ladder to stop herself so she could ask why I needed her to hold the ladder still.

The ladder swayed to the left and nearly righted itself, before it fell - with me and the gun coming down on top of it.

Damn, that sure hurt, but do you know how solid I can hold that gun now - with this big old cast on my arm? Heck fire, the gun don't even wiggle!
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Well, I guess if "standing in your *normal* shooting position" includes standing *on* a stepladder, that all makes perfect sense . . . but for the life of me I couldn't find the rules for stepladder usage on the ISSF website!

=8^)

Steve
Fred Mannis

Standing Without Shoes

Post by Fred Mannis »

Steve,
Speaking of 'standing in your normal shooting position' reminds me of a question I have been meaning to ask:
If I want to shoot without shoes, do ISSF rules allow me to bring a piece of carpet to stand on so that I don't freeze on a cold concrete floor?
Fred
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Fred,
I would suggest you have a look at the rules on the ISSF website, the full set are on there. I can't think of anything specific that says so but my memory ain't that good to remeber them all <g>.

Rob.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Fred, Robb:

Don't have the rules handy so I'm "shooting from the hip" here (so to speak) however IIRC that would not be allowed because you are "changing the conditions of the match" in a way that makes your match conditions different from everyoen else's . . . prohibited in the way that making special marks on your target face or wearing a miner's lamp on your head is prohibited . . .

David Levene is usually pretty expert on questions like this . . .

Steve Swartz
darticus

Re: So here I was............

Post by darticus »

He told me to shoot at my shooting height.What are you doing at 10 feet freek'in snipping from trees.Come down man and join us.
Maybe I should try what you did you sound steady now.I got an old wood 12 foot ladder imagine how steady I'll be when I get done.Call me snipe!Ron
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Steve Swartz wrote:David Levene is usually pretty expert on questions like this . . .
Gee thanks Steve. I was actually hoping to stay out of this one.

I have a certain amount of sympathy for someone wanting to stand on something a bit warmer and softer than concrete. You cannot get away from the fact however that the last sentance of 6.3.12.2.2 clearly states "The use of Private mats is prohibited".

You could, with some justification, argue that this rule should only apply to standing and kneeling.

That being the case I would fall back on the classic cop-out, 6.4.3:-

"The Jury must decide all cases which are not provided for in the ISSF Regulations and Rules. Such decisions must be made within the spirit and intent of the ISSF Regulations and Rules. Any such decisions must be put into writing and sent to the ISSF Secretariat so that necessary rules may be clarified or changed."

As a purely personal opinion, carpet will be inherently less stable than bare concrete so I don't think it would give an advantage. I would therefore allow it.

Spencer, what do you think?
guest111

Post by guest111 »

How about really thick specialty socks, or perhaps shoes with thin flat soles.
Choose whatever you are most stable in (check by standing with your eyes closed).
Remember that any cushion tends to reduce overall stability