tattoo for mental motivation (!)

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Basar Baypinar

tattoo for mental motivation (!)

Post by Basar Baypinar »

Hi everyone;I need your kind feedbacks...

I'm an AP shooter since one year;and trying to find and execute some mental motivation/adaptation techniques such as NLP for better performance...

So, nowadays, I'm looking for a tattoo sample related to "air pistol shooting", "gun" etc. Also it may include "number 10" symbol...It seems to be "weird searching" for you but I belive that a shooting related tattoo on my arm would create good mental motivation while shooting...(For example I'm also wearing a t-shirt which has a symbol on "10" .. for mental focusing to shoot just from "10"..

What do you think about that?Is this a dicilous or not?And do u have any sample that would you share with me?

Please "don't kidding me":))))

Basar
Albert

Mental motivation

Post by Albert »

I once saw an interview with one of The Netherlands top female athletes. She had written her goal (personal record time for a specific international world championship) on the back of a piece op paper and had the paper stuck to the wall. She could read it by turning the paper. Only her trainer/coach knew wat the target was. That way she committed herself to achieve the target, but by not telling anyone else she had a 'mental' advantage over others (placing herself in the underdog position).

When I shoot a match myself, I do not enter focussed on winning, but to make it as difficult as possible for the other competitors to beat me. By doing this I position myself also in the 'underdog' position, releaving myself of the stress related to the "must win" attitude.
If my training and execution of my goal (making it difficult for others to beat me) is succesfull, winning is the logic result.
As an old Dutch pistoltrainer put it:
Concentrate on what happenes here (the proper execution of the shot ), the result will automatically be a 10. In other words: you can not change the path of the bullet after it has left the gun, so make sure your shooting technique is perfect.

Albert
(The Netherlands)
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

Although focusing on a ten is a good mental image before the shot, to let your subconscious know where you would like the pellet to print, the important activity to achieve that ten is happening at the gun and being perfected by your operation of the trigger while observing its purity through your view of the sights. Therefore, since your sights are the visual focus during the actual "now" of the shot, that is what I would suggest for a tattoo; a simple block image with the front sight perfect within the rear sight. That will help you reinforce the image away from the range and allow it to help during the shot process. It will allow a quick reinforcement during the process. Note that if your focus drifts during the actual shot, you should start over again.

Take Care,
Ed Hall
http://www.airforceshooting.org/
http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/
http://www.geocities.com/ed_ka2fwj/
Albert

mental focus

Post by Albert »

I agree with Ed Hall.
As an engineer I spent lots of time behind the PC designing pipelines for a.o. offshore riggs. I have a picture of the "perfect"sightpicture sticking on both sides of my screen. Everytime my eyes change their attention from the PC screen to the papers on my desk (and back), they record - for a split second - the perfect sight picture. As this happenes many times a day, the image of the perfect sight picture becomes programmed in the human brain. This in combination with a goog trigger handling creates a spontanious trigger release at the instant the sight picture is good enough.

Albert
(The Netherlands)