How to remove putty

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
VladB

How to remove putty

Post by VladB »

What is a good way to remove putty from the grip? I am talking about those stubborn tiny pieces stuck in the stippling.
Bill177

Visit you dentist

Post by Bill177 »

See if you can get a few "worn out" dental picks from him. Certain picks work great for such chores. They are also very good for other small work around guns and electronics.

I even have a couple that I reshaped and use for o-ring removal and installation.
VladB

Re: Visit you dentist

Post by VladB »

I don't think using a dental pick would clean it well. There are a lot of little white marks in stippling.

How about using a paint thinner?

Bill177 wrote:See if you can get a few "worn out" dental picks from him. Certain picks work great for such chores. They are also very good for other small work around guns and electronics.

I even have a couple that I reshaped and use for o-ring removal and installation.
Bill177

Not paint thinner

Post by Bill177 »

I am not famialier with the chemistry of this stuff, but I don't think paint thinner would do anything to it.

You might try lacquer thinner or acetone - but be very careful, they are very combustable. Also, acetone will take the oils from your skin in a heartbeat.

If they were mine, I think I would grind them down, then reapply grip paste until I got them where I wanted.

I really doubt if you will get them cleaned well.
Fred

How to remove...

Post by Fred »

Vlad,

The best way I've found to do this is simply to re-stipple the area. If you are able to reproduce the stippling effect on the gun, re-stippling will break out most of the putty, and a pick will remove the few remaining pieces, leaving a surface pretty much like the original. If you cannot reproduce the original effect, then of course the resulting surface will look different. Experiment on a piece of scrap wood to see.

HTH,
FredB