Walther SSP - pictures

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
bjornar

Walther SSP - pictures

Post by bjornar »

A "prototype" of the new Walther SSP have been tested in Oslo, Norway recently. I found this pictures on the site of "Oslo Pistolklubb":

http://www.oslopk.com/walther_ssp.htm

Sweet dreams...
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Thanks for posting the link to the pictures. As a person with very limited skills in the Norwegian language a translation into english would be greatly apprecited. From the length of the text it appears as though not much actual description of the testing is provided. I'm very much looking forward to seeing a full review of this pistol.

Yes, dream dream dream...
bjornar

Post by bjornar »

Mark Briggs wrote:...... As a person with very limited skills in the Norwegian language a translation into english would be greatly apprecited. ...........
Not realy very much useful information in the text, but here is a english translation:

"
On a training session in the Oslo Pistol Club, Terje Storholt had brought a "prototype" of the new sportpistol from Walther, SSP.
Everyone was free to testfire this "wonder of a pistol".
Of course, it is difficult to make up an opinion of a new pistol after just a few shoot, but the first impression of the pistol was good. It is not much left of the old GSP, but a very modern sportpistol with all kinds of adjustment possibilities. Such as weight and balance adjustments with weights. It is not yet announced when the pistol is ready for sale in Norway, or what the pricing will be, but it will be very interesting to see how it will compete with Pardini and Hammerli among the competitive shooters."
"
Pär Hylander

Post by Pär Hylander »

I looked at one of those and did some dryfiring with it at the Swedish National Championchips a few weeks ago. However it was absolutly forbidden to testshoot and the reason we were told by the swedish agent was because the pistol had no CIP-approval (or something like that)

However, the pistol gave me absolutely no "must-have" feeling.
trinity

some more pictures

Post by trinity »

We also took some pictures of the SSP while at the Munich WC this year, the link is:

http://www.targetshooting.ca/reframeriz ... 005_01.htm

Enjoy!
Last edited by trinity on Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomF

Post by TomF »

I get a file not found on those pictures.
joe1347

Post by joe1347 »

narly
prfct2700

Walther SSP Pictures

Post by prfct2700 »

http://www.targetshooting.ca
Under whats new!
August 20th - First paragraph - Click on "Picture gallery"
Under match pictures
New Walther SSP At Munich WC2005
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Bjornar - thank you very much for your translation. I surely am glad there are folks from every linguistic group in the world on this forum as it makes it a much better place!
RML

ssp

Post by RML »

Unfortunately, we did not have the Walther SSP long enough to do a real test, looking "inside" it, etc. During the evening there were quite a few who wanted to try the SSP, and I believe most people liked what they could feel and see.
The pistol is very lightweight, only 970 grams. I felt that som added weight would be neccessary, specially for the rapid fire event. Weights could be attached to the front.
The price in Norway is said to be apx. the same as a Pardini SP.

RML
Oslo Pistolklubb
joe1347

Post by joe1347 »

Out of curiousity, does anyone know why the Chinese have not attempted to sell a very low cost replica of a .22 target pistol (or even an air pistol) somewhat similar to the Walter SSP or a Hammerli/Morini/etc.? I'm assuming that there are not any technical or legal/patent limitations that would prevent something similar from being developed and distributed in the USA. Possibly the volumes (i.e, the few thousand max) are just too low to generate any interest by the Chinese manufacturers. Obviously, many of us would like to purchase the Walther but have Browning Buckmark/Ruger MKIII budgets.
Patrick Haynes

Chinese Guns

Post by Patrick Haynes »

[quote="joe1347"]Out of curiousity, does anyone know why the Chinese have not attempted to sell a very low cost replica of a .22 target pistol[quote]

Joe: does the US gov't allow Chinese guns into the USA? Up here in Canada, Norinco guns are available, but one distributor up here expressly states that he cannot ship Norinco guns to the US. I thought maybe it was because they were restricting imports.

If you're looking for a less expensive .22 target pistol, look at the IZH-35. Walther and Hammerli both made more expensive guns from that design, I believe.

Patrick
joe1347

Re: Chinese Guns

Post by joe1347 »

Patrick Haynes wrote:
joe1347 wrote:Out of curiousity, does anyone know why the Chinese have not attempted to sell a very low cost replica of a .22 target pistol

Joe: does the US gov't allow Chinese guns into the USA? Up here in Canada, Norinco guns are available, but one distributor up here expressly states that he cannot ship Norinco guns to the US. I thought maybe it was because they were restricting imports.

If you're looking for a less expensive .22 target pistol, look at the IZH-35. Walther and Hammerli both made more expensive guns from that design, I believe.

Patrick

Now that you mention it, I think that there is an import ban on Chinese firearms. I haven't seen any Norinco firearms for sale for a long time in the USA. Possibly the explanation is as simple as that. I wonder whether the real reasons for the ban (assuming there is one) are to protect domestic (USA) and European manufacturers from Chinese competition. As expensive as some firearms are for what is primary a chunk of machined steel/plastic/wood (i.e, very inexpensive raw materials) - Chinese competition could likely destroy most USA and European manufacturers.
Mike McDaniel

Post by Mike McDaniel »

There is a ban on the importation of CHICOM weapons into the United States. Partly pure anti-gun politics, partly because they were caught smuggling full-auto AK-47s.
crrmeyer

Post by crrmeyer »

joe1347 wrote:Out of curiousity, does anyone know why the Chinese have not attempted to sell a very low cost replica of a .22 target pistol?
You mean like this one, the Norinco TT Olympia (Walther copy)?\

Of course spare parts may be an issue.

Charles

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976573780.htm
CraigJS

Post by CraigJS »

Ban or no ban, I wouldn't buy anything from Norinco. Guys your buying from the Chinese military... just MY opinion!
CraigJS
joe1347

Post by joe1347 »

CraigJS wrote:Ban or no ban, I wouldn't buy anything from Norinco. Guys your buying from the Chinese military... just MY opinion!
CraigJS
True, but sadly so's about half the merchandise at Walmart.
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

joe1347 wrote:
CraigJS wrote:Ban or no ban, I wouldn't buy anything from Norinco. Guys your buying from the Chinese military... just MY opinion!
CraigJS
True, but sadly so's about half the merchandise at Walmart.
Which is why I don't shop there either.
Steve Swartz

Continuing OFF TOPIC

Post by Steve Swartz »

Apologies in advance about continuing the OFF TOPIC portion of the discussion.

Quiz Time:

Name for me a purely domestic product (from any countries' standpoint; limit your response to developed nations).

Give up yet?

Hint: Amish Cheese moved by horse cart to the Amish store in a wagon built by grandpa comes close . . .

And we are reluctant to raise the standard of living for "Exploited Asian Peasants" because . . . ?

Steve Swartz
trinity

Re: Continuing OFF TOPIC

Post by trinity »

so all these off topic replies because.... no one really cares about the SSP? ... humm... the Walther guys did mention the possibility of the body accepting an electronic trigger unit...