Yellow versus Rose Shooting Glasses

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

sharpshooter

Yellow versus Rose Shooting Glasses

Post by sharpshooter »

A coach of a local high school asked me whether yellow or rose shooting glasses were better. I've only tried the yellow - they work for me, but haven't tried the rose. Has anyone here used both? What do you prefer? What are the pros/cons of the colors?

The shooting they do is all indoor air rifle at 10 meters (33 feet) under different light, some ranges have flourescent, others use incandescent bulbs, what color would be most usefull? What about paying extra for changeable lenses?
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I would get a set of (good quality) lenses and try different ones. I currently use a yellow/brown lens but I have tried, and liked, the rose one. If I can find the rose coloured one then I'll buy that along with a proper yellow one. I should add that I only use the lenses outdoors but if I had the right one or very bright conditions, I'd use a lens indoors - oh and I shoot pistol.

Rob.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Last I heard (Feb 2005), Navy JROTC were required to fire AR with safety glasses. Army & Marine JROTC I do not believe have that requirement.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

Don't remember where I found the data, but you wear different colored glasses for different lighting conditions. In general, clear glasses are for inside. Yellow glasses are worn in hazy, cloudy days to bring out the target. Regular sunglasses for sunny days. Forget what Vermillion is for, but I think it's also for glare / sunny conditions. You DON'T want to wear yellow glasses on a sunny day, it tends to magnify the brightness and wear your eyes out earlier.

The yellow problem is also from personal experience..... I wear Regular sunglasses for daytime shotgun and Bullseye Pistol.

Mike
Don

Post by Don »

The Soviets approached sport from a very scientific standpoint. Early into their entry into international shooting competition after World War II, they conducted a series of vision experiments using their national and world class shooters. They found that for a majority of the people they tested a light pink color in shooting glasses gave a better contrast between the black bullseye and the white background on a target under most light conditions than no/or other color in the shooting glasses.

Manufacturers made use of this knowledge. Several of my old Anschutz diopters have color wheels in them which include pink.

Dr Alan Toler (www.customsightpicture.com) produces a very effective kit for measuring the adjustments that those of us with older (in my case read antique) eyes need to make to our glasses so that we can still see the front sight clearly. As part of the kit, he includes 12 lenses having a range of colors. When using the kit, one can select the color that gives the best contrast on the target in the range conditions one normal shoots under. I've found - like the Russians - that pink works best for me, and have been using it in my glasses for years. But, I'm only double distinguished and double president's hundred, so what do I know.

Regards,
Don
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

jhmartin wrote:Last I heard (Feb 2005), Navy JROTC were required to fire AR with safety glasses. Army & Marine JROTC I do not believe have that requirement.
The stupidity never seems to end............
ucfshooter

Post by ucfshooter »

Here is a link that might help you.

http://oakley.com/technology/lens_tints/

Says what all the lens colors are for.[/url]
LordRod

Post by LordRod »

Also, try page 11 of the latest Gehmann catalogue available here:

http://www.gehmann.com/english_final/downloads.php

Or see the attachment to this post.
Attachments
Effect of coloured filters
Effect of coloured filters
Effect of coloured filters.jpg (48.24 KiB) Viewed 3707 times
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

Seems like red is the ticket: "enhances back and white contrast".
tjpopkin

Rose Shooting Glasses

Post by tjpopkin »

The effect of colored lenses is to enhance the contrast of ambient shooting conditions. That would apply to indoor as well as outdoor conditions.
The facts are that the human eye is most sensitive to light in the part of the spectrum that is prdominantly green. Yes, we see from red to blue, and the light temperature will vary under different atmospheric conditions, but the fact is, the center of the spectrum that we visualize is mostly green light. That is one reason that night scopes (amplified light) is displayed as green. Under very low light conditions, we see in black and white - only. It all has to do with the numbers of rods and cones on the retina.
The color of the lenses will enhance the complimentary color of the light that exists under shooting conditions.
Haze has a predominance of blue light and the comp.color is yellow. Therefore yellow lenses enhance the "apparent" contrast under cloudy conditions. Orange will give the effect of even more contrast under foggy or hazey conditions. Orange (the combination of yellow and red) is the compliment of blue and cyan.
Why rose? It seems to me that rose would be the perfect contrast enhancer for fluorescent lighting. Fluorest emission is actually green-blue, mostly green, but we perceive it as white (since we are most sensitive to light in the green spectrum) since the brain plays many tricks. Just make a color photograph on daylight transparency film (nearly a thing of the past) and see just how green the photo appears. Digital cameras have filters for fluorescent light - guess what, the filter is very magenta (40CC of magenta) and folks, that appears to be the color we call "ROSE", esp. if we add a little bit of red. I would think that the rose glasses would enhance our shooting vision on indoor ranges with fluorescent light. Indoor ranges with tungsten light (conventional bulbs) really have yellow light, and blue lenses would help.
One last note, the eye is not perfect -some of us wear glasses. It is a known fact that with some lens variations, light of various colors is not focused at exactly the same point - known as chromatic abberation. This fact is important in camera lens design and applies to our eyes, especially as we age and cannot compensate like we could in our youth. In short - If the light varies in color our focal point may shift and we can actually shoot to a different aiming point. Colored filters on our shooting glasses may assist us in neutralizing the effects of ambient light and help us compensate.
Terry Popkin