When to move up?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Mike S-J

When to move up?

Post by Mike S-J »

I am a beginner and am shooting a Walther CPM 1 CO2 pistol. Probably state-of-the-art 10yrs ago (maybe even more).

Have been shooting since February and, since using this forum (from June-ish) my average has gone up from 85 to 88 (under match conditions). (The advice on NPA seems to have had the biggest effect on my overall ability to 'channel' my focus through the sights and let my brain do the rest - although there is obviously a long way to go). I know that the mental and physical processes are the important ones - we all know that - but...

...at what point (money permitting) does one switch over from the competent old gun to a new Steyr or Morini? What will these guns offer that an older model doesn't (they must offer something otherwise the top shooters wouldn't use them) and will I get the benefits at my lowly level?
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I would suggest they don't offer an awful lot that an older pistol doesn't. What you should perhaps consider is handling a few of the newer, up market, guns and see how they feel to you. Try shooting them if at all possible and then make an informed decision. A couple of things you will perhaps note, is more adjustability with the newer guns plus because it's newer it will give you a mental boost. It is a powerful motivator to for example be shooting with a gun which is often on the winning rostrum of international competitions. It is also fair to say that you will no longer 'have an excuse' that you're using an older gun.

I would say if you want to improve and reach your true potential then getting a new gun is one step along that path. You do need to decide what you want out of your shooting, how much money and time you are prepared to commit to it and then see if it all adds up. In many respects a new gun won't make you a brilliant shooter but it will almost certainly help you progress in that direction.

That's my opinion anyway <g>.

Rob.
James Hurr

New Pistol

Post by James Hurr »

The flagellist in me says stick with the old pistol until you are sure you have really reached the limit of the gun.

If you want to score better in the short term maybe a new pistol will give you a few extra points. Probably the points would then fall off and you would be back where you started

If you really want to learn to shoot and do well in the long term then stick with what you have. The only exception would be if it has some serious defect which is holding you back.

Its actually easier to learn with a less good pistol, this is why people start with training pistols, the triggers are bad, the sights are bad, the grips are bad, all this is to help show up poor technique.
RobStubbs

Re: New Pistol

Post by RobStubbs »

James Hurr wrote:The flagellist in me says stick with the old pistol until you are sure you have really reached the limit of the gun.

If you really want to learn to shoot and do well in the long term then stick with what you have. The only exception would be if it has some serious defect which is holding you back.

Its actually easier to learn with a less good pistol, this is why people start with training pistols, the triggers are bad, the sights are bad, the grips are bad, all this is to help show up poor technique.
I strongly disagree with the above. Firstly reaching the limits of the gun you have - is probably never. You will never be able to out perform the gun, no matter how bad it is.

It is also easier to learn with a good pistol; You will have a good, consistent trigger which you will get used to and be able to know exactly when it will release. Good grips means it fits your hand properly, will be comfortable to shoot and give you that consistency (again). You can fully adjust the sights to give you the ideal sight picture you require.

If your ambitition is to be an 'also ran' then stick with the old gun. You will undoubtedly get better with it. If however you want to be a great shooter then get a new pistol now. You may well get worse before you improve but the chances are you will improve and you will continue to improve if you work at it.

Rob.
victor6

Post by victor6 »

I'd still be shooting an old Walther CP2 if getting CO2 wasn't such a hassle where I live. I think that your Walther (providing it fits your hand and you like the way it balances) can take you very far.

I'd set a goal (e.g. scoring 550 in a match) ... then reward yourself with a new air pistol when you reach it. I'd be careful not to rush the decision on which pistol to get and be sure to try a few different ones to find the one that best suits you.

Regards,

Victor
Fred

Just an opinion

Post by Fred »

Mike,

I am certainly no expert, but I have handled and shot many 10M air pistols. In my opinion, the Walther CPM-1 is a great gun, especially if you have the version with the vented barrel and comp, which doesn't move at all on firing. The balance is very adjustable, the center of gravity is low, the grip angles are adjustable (if I remember correctly), and the trigger is definitely one of the better Walther ones. Just my opinion, FWIW.

FredB
James Hurr

New Gun/Old Gun

Post by James Hurr »

I should have added, once you reach a reasonable standard it is indeed worthwhile getting a state of the art new pistol where you know everything is working, the barrel is undamaged etc. ~550 might be about right.

Until that time I believe you will learn more and quicker from a more basic pistol.

Actually I would say if you are just starting out then put the Walther away for now and use something like a Gamo for three months.
RobStubbs

Re: New Gun/Old Gun

Post by RobStubbs »

James Hurr wrote: Actually I would say if you are just starting out then put the Walther away for now and use something like a Gamo for three months.
If you want to take a backwards step, knock your confidence and learn to hate a naff trigger etc then go right ahead. I can't begin to understand how shooting a rubbish gun will help you shoot well ??? You need the attributes of a good gun to give you feedback. With that feedback you can learn to read and call your shots and obviously work on the faults you found.

Rob.
crrmeyer

Re: When to move up?

Post by crrmeyer »

Mike S-J wrote:I am a beginner and am shooting a Walther CPM 1 CO2 pistol. Probably state-of-the-art 10yrs ago (maybe even more).

...at what point (money permitting) does one switch over from the competent old gun to a new Steyr or Morini? What will these guns offer that an older model doesn't (they must offer something otherwise the top shooters wouldn't use them) and will I get the benefits at my lowly level?
I have shot a number of 10m air pistols over the years, and like previous posters comments I really like the ported/compensated Walther CPM-1. It is some combination of ballance and ease of shooting for me at least.

Charles
Mike S-J

Post by Mike S-J »

Thanks for the advice.

Its been VERY helpful indeed. I like the idea of rewarding myself when reaching a goal that warrants the reward.

Its also nice to know that the gun I have isn't regarded as a lemon. FWIW it is the CPM-1 with the compensator, but no vented barrel.

BTW - a fellow pistol shooter watched me the other day and thought the grip was too small - turns out she was right, its a medium, and I measure up for a Rink XL! Me thinks a new grip is in order, so its on order!

Lets see what that does hey? Once again, thanks for the reassuring advice.

Mike