Target Lighting

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

RobStubbs wrote:You can do exactly the same with a (somewhat cheaper) webcam.

Rob.
I thought webcams connected to a PC. They can be connected to a TV as well?
TomF

Post by TomF »

Rob, I tried the web cam first and the resolution is horrible and you have to put the camera so close to the target that it could get shot. The angle is also critical up close and if you put it off to the side/over/under so it is out of the way, part of the target will not be in focus.

If it is all you have you can use what you have, but you wont like it. At least I didnt. And my computers are not located where I want to shoot.

Also I had all the components and it didnt cost me anything.

Web cams cannot be directly connected to a TV.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Webcams are via a PC but you should still get a good enough image to see the shots. Another possibility is to use a security camera. I know someone who has one permanently set up in his garage just for shooting. These will give better images than a webcam and can be viewed on a standard TV / monitor plus they can be zoomed. Plus of course they are pretty cheap.

Rob.
TomF

Post by TomF »

LOL!

Rob, I tried that too. I didnt buy one of the good security cameras with high resolution because they are more than a inexpensive video camera, but as I said my video camera was free. The one I have is a X-10 wireless security camera and the resolution is not good either and it has the same issues as the web cam. The zoom is not sufficient and the resolution is terrible and the field of view is very wide so you get part of the target in focus and part out. I like the target to fill my whole 20" TV screen.

But as I said before, use whatever you have and works for you. Or, save your money and buy a cheap video with a zoom. You can record your shots and play them back too. Just be sure and view it on fast forward. Otherwise it is like watching grass grow/yacht race/paint dry.
Dave C.

Post by Dave C. »

I use a Kowa 501, it will focus down to less than 25 feet.

Dave C.
TomF

Post by TomF »

It looks like diddles proxy checker might be the way to go. He seems to be most insistent.

But I, of course, would never use a proxy checker on my 10m targets.