shooting jacket

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

p7willm

shooting jacket

Post by p7willm »

I shoot ISSF style( I try to follow the rules but have little hope of ever representing my country in the Olympics) in my basement and am in it mainly for the toys.

I just got a shooting jacket and have a few questions about the fit. I put it on and the sleves seem about right but I noticed the buttons were in the pocket so the question is where do the buttons go and how should it fit after I put them there.

I know where they generally go but should the jacket be tight, a little loose, or just right when it is buttoned?

Also, there was this cute little doohickey in the pocket. It's a piece of metal bent into a rather strange shape with a hook on one end then a flat piece with an almost corcular area and then a kind of T shaped piece.

Thanks

Peter Williams
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

HI

I'm responding so that you don't either throw something away, or screw up TOO bad. I'm no expert though. Two of my team members have ISSF Monard coats. The buttons somehow screw through the coat, you have to pull everything VERY tight around you and stick the buttons through the canvas. After the buttons are attached, you use the "cute little Dohicky" to pull the button through the button hole.

Contact the jacket maker for more detailed explanation.

Mike
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

You should get on the USA shooting sight and print off the rifle rules. It is all explained there. In general though the buttons can be place anywhere from the edge up to a max of 100mm in from the edge- in other words they don't want too much overlap. Also, wherever you place them the jacket must be loose enough that it can be overlapped another 70mm beyond the buttoned position. This insures the the jacket is not overly tight.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

For ISSF shooting check out the rules section of the ISSF website. The following is a link to the new ISSF equipment control checking procdure which should give you some more pointers.

http://www.issf-shooting.org/rules/2005 ... ontrol.pdf

HTH,

Rob.
wrc

Post by wrc »

The spoon-like doohickey is a "Button Buddy". You were very lucky indeed to get one of these handy gizmos included with your jacket! Those buttons will be finger killers until the jacket is softened up considerably.

Use an awl to carefully make the holes in your jacket to screw the buttons thru. Don't make big gaping holes! Having screw-on buttons allows you to adjust the fit as your jacket softens & shapes to you (or as your shape changes :^)
p7willm

Post by p7willm »

Thanks for all the help. Best was the link the the rules. I kind of liked the way it fit but, even with the buttons at the outside edge, I could not really drag the other side 70 MM further without help from about two friends;-)

So since I have not installed the buttons yet back it goes for the bigger one.
anschutzshooter

shooting jacket

Post by anschutzshooter »

Also remember that once you place your buttons don't hesitate to move them. Naturally your jacket will be tighter when it's new. Once it gets broken in it's possible that you'll have to move them. Since you're sending it back make sure you don't get too big of a jacket so that once it's broken in it doesn't fit too big.