How does the izh 46m compare to tau 7 junior?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
JamesN

How does the izh 46m compare to tau 7 junior?

Post by JamesN »

Which one would be most suitable for me (im 16) to start out with?
Russ

Air pistol

Post by Russ »

@
Last edited by Russ on Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don90250

Post by Don90250 »

James,

Since I've only been shooting for a year and my daughter for a month, I can't give you an authoritative answer, but I can share our experiences. I bought the 46M because it was cheap and I didn't want to invest a lot of money unless I ended up sticking with the sport. IT IS THE HEAVIEST AIR PISTOL ON THE MARKET; I HATE IT! My 15 year old daughter is of average strength for her age. She is able to handle our coach's Morini. If I were to do it over again, I would have spent a little more and started with the regular Tau 7. We're moving up to a Steyr or Morini at the first $$$ opportunity. I'd guess the junior pistols are for shooters much younger than you.

Don
Bill177

Apples and oranges

Post by Bill177 »

You are trying to compare two totally different types of APs.

I agree that the IZH-46M is quite heavy - and it is nose heavy to boot. It is, however, complete. All you need to shoot is a tin of pellets and a target. It has reasonably good sights and an excellent fully adjustable trigger.

The Tau-7 requires the use of either 12gm Co2 capsules or the use of a 20# bulk-fill set up to use the 150 gm buddy bottle. As with the IZH-46M, the TAU has a great trigger and fine sites. It also comes with weights, to allow the adjustment of balance.

Using the 12 gm capsuls, you cannot shoot a complete match without replacement. Shooting the IZH-46M, you will have a tired arm near the end of the match from cocking the gun.

The quality of the finish of the TAU is better than that of the IZH. The grip is better from the factory on the TAU. The IZH costs far less than the TAU. Both are found used very often - but not at a tremendous savings over the cost of a new AP.

I have been there and done that with both of these APs, and a couple of others. When I finished chasing the perfect gun - which doesn't really exist - I bought a new Pardini K2 with a slightly shortened barrel and a Nygord Comp in Co2 and am very happy with it.

Along the way I also had a K60 and did not like it - too nose heavy. And a K58 (similar to the IZH-46M) - which was too hard to cock more than a few times a day. Other than that, both were fine. Worthy guns, just not to my liking. I did however, purchase another IZH-46M which I modified the grips on and like it to "play" with.

When you get ready for "the" gun - I suggest you go to some matches and talk to other shooters. Often you will be invited to handle and/or shoot their APs. You will one day find a particular make/model that just seems to "fit" and you will then know what to get.

I am from the old school and like highly refined mechanical devices, hence I never tried the Morini E models. I came very close to buying a Steyr and may at some point do that. I do not kid myself, however, that that will equate to any improvements in my scores.

Although you can learn a lot on this forum about the various high quality APs - there is nothing like in person and up front.
James

Post by James »

Thanks for the awsome advice.

I've been shooting the izh for 100-200 shots at a time, and cocking is no trouble.

However holding it up is. Its heavy, i've been working on my arms, but after 10-20 shots i start to shake a bit.

The coach said i would overcome this, but a lighter ap to keep me from getting tired in the match seems like a very good idea.

I found a used izh thats new, and am about to buy, but i'll look to see what my choices are.

I'll see if my coach can bring in his airpistols so i can try.

So a tau 7 match is a good gun to get?
Don90250

Post by Don90250 »

Bill177 has done an excellent job of summarizing the differences between the two pistols (and the plug-n-play advantage of the 46M). You're coach is right about your overcoming the weight of the 46M. If you want to speed things up, use your 46M as a dumbbell. Start with it at your side, raise it slowly to firing position, hold for a 10-count, then lower it slowly to your side. Do 3 sets of 20 every OTHER day.
scout18

Post by scout18 »

HI there I kind of concentrate on IZH postings. I have been shooting one for a couple of years. I find it very interesting when people comment on how heavy it is. I suppose that is because I don't have experience with any AP other than a Daisy 717. I find that my izzy is very stable and reliable. Do the training but use twice as much weight as the izzy. Look up weight traing for shooting in the archives. I am a big guy however and use an 18 volt Dewalt drill everyday in my work. Talk about heavy.