Steyr LP1 - The Perfect Pellet

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
susanparis

Steyr LP1 - The Perfect Pellet

Post by susanparis »

Has anyone tested various pellets in an LP1? Does one have a clear advantage? Should pellet testing be done with a Ransom rest?
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Susan,

This topic has been covered many, many times on this forum. Please take some time to read through them. The search tool will be of great assistance in finding discussions on this topic.

As an LP-1 shooter I can say that my particular pistol will perform well with almost any match-grade pellet I put in it, except H&N Match. But since each air pistol is completely unique, your results will be different than mine. If you wish to go to that extreme, pellet testing is the only way to find THE right pellet for YOUR pistol.

As for pellet testing, a Ransom rest is not required but can definitely be used. A more common method uses a vise attached to an immovable platform. Clamp your pistol in the vise so it won't move, then test pellets from various manufacturers. I use a pair of wooden blocks with grooves cut in them to facilitate clamping in the vise without marring the finish of my pistol.

Happy shooting!
teresammeyer

pellets

Post by teresammeyer »

I have an LP1 too. Sad Steyr doesn't make it anymore. Anyway, I have shot Vogel and Finale Match. Both of these pellets worked great. One things you may want to consider is the size of the pellets. I used 4.49mm, but now I use 4.5mm. The best way to find is to try different pellets.
Teresa
jrmcdaniel

Post by jrmcdaniel »

Shooting Sports has a review of the LP50 in this month's issue and they liked the Vogel pellets best. Presumably, the LP1 shoots pretty much the same. The Vogels are available through the CMP for incredibly low prices but the price from Pilkguns (the host here) is also very good.

Best,

Joe
John Marchant

Post by John Marchant »

Don't know about the "Perfect pellet", however I have done some extensive testing comparing different makes, sizes and muzzle velocities with my LP1.

At the end of the day, there is not much difference in the grades of pellets with regards shot pattern, however the combination that seems to provide the most consistant muzzle velocity and resultant group/shot diagram at 10 metres and 20 yards is H & N Finale Match Air Rifle Pellets, size 4.49 with the muzzle velocity set to average 525feet per second. For pictorial proof see my website. (www.tenrings.co.uk)

The slightl;y heavier weight of the air rifle pellet seems to smoothe out some of the muzzle velocity variations.

However, whatever pellets you choose to use, I am sure that the results achieved are all down to improved confidence in the equipment that you are using.

Unlike rimfire ammunition, there does not seem to be "good or bad" batches of pellets.

Hope this is of some help.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Susan:

You have opened up a real can of worms here. I offer the following advice humbly; not as an expert but just as food for thought for you. Talk to a statistician at your local college campus for a detailed explanation.

Many in this forum believe as an article of faith that there are significant (measurable) differences in performance between pellets (mfgr and lot) for a given gun (make and serial #). That supposition sounds good, and seems intuitively appealing. It has to be true, right?

Others, with a background in statistics and design of experiments, have run extensive tests and have concluded that differences noted are negligable. The performance differences between lots of the same pellet in the same gun are larger than the differences between brands of pellet in the same gun (think about that one for a minute).

Furthermore, the differences between shot strings (10 shot strings or less are meaningless) of the same pellet in the same gun are typically at least as large as the differences between different brands (certainly lots!) of pellets in the same gun.

O.K., so here's a "moment of truth" for you- offered humbly, from someone who has a reputation for being "anal" and "analytical" and "scientific" about issues like these:

1) Don't buy outrageously crappy pellets (Crosman Hunting Pellets are out).

2) Buy *any* brand and lot of "match grade pellets."

3) TRAIN!!!!

4) When you break 580/600 and/or 387/400, go ahead and worry about it. At that point, how you "feel" about your pellets will be at least as important as how they actually perform.

Did I mention that training is much more important than equipment? I didn't want to forget that point.

Seems like in this forum- and in general- most people want to agonize over the equipment. I guess talking about training plans and the shot process is boring.

Steve Swartz
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Seems like in this forum- and in general- most people want to agonize over the equipment. I guess talking about training plans and the shot process is boring.
While 'talking about...' may (or may not be) boring, there is little doubt that doing the training is tedious and hard work. Much more fun to buy to buy a better/different piece of equipment and dream of instant success. :-)

There is certainly more, and better, discussion of training issues on this site than any other. While there are some nuggets on Bullseye-L, they are few and far between.
Paul T (UK)

LP1

Post by Paul T (UK) »

If you are going to test, I suggest you plant 40 or 60 shots on the same blank (or reverse of a printed) target and look at the size of hole made. The Overlay this hole on top of a printed 10m air pistol target and get a single pellet and see how the group secures a 10 with every shot, and hopefully the X ring!. That will provide you with the confidence that your kit is excellent and well matched. You then train and focus on technique without worrying about your kit.

On the off chance that you spot that the 10 is not a certain score shot, it may be an indication that you pistol could require a service or the pellet you are using is not matched to your pistol. Simply repeat with another size/brand before having unnecessary work done. I would suggest a competent and preferably factory trained gunsmith attend your pistol. The LP1 is an excellent air pistol and I hope you enjoy shooting.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Fred Mannis wrote:
....While there are some nuggets on Bullseye-L, they are few and far between.
True, but they are there. I shoot Bullseye, and coach air rifle, so I hang out both places. By the way, I'm living proof that equipment doesn't make you shoot Master. 1 year old Les Baer Hardball gun, and I'm still Marksman (under 85%). On the other hand, I know where the problem is.....

Training: Look up Trigger Control on Bullseye-L, and the comments should get you to several lessons on the subject of shooting "X's". May not be the first 5 pages either......

Buy a copy of Gil Hebard's Treasury of Pistol Shooting. It's under $10.00 and has a LOT of writing by the 1950's and 1960's masters of target shooting. Pictures are dated, but the knowledge isn't.

Mike
Wichita KS