grip size

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
p7willm

grip size

Post by p7willm »

I just got a B-98 and I want to know if my grips are too small or if I am doing something wrong.

The first problem I have is with the shelf. Even if it is lowered all the way down I can not hold the gun for more than a few minutes before my hand starts to hurt from the pressure.

The second thing that bothers me is the triger position. I can adjust it so the ball of my finger falls on it but then it is bent less than 90 degrees. If I position the trigger where my finger bends 90 the the ball is past the trigger.

It looks to me that both of these problems would be solved by a larger grip. Of course I could probably fix the shelf with a plane or belt sander. And if I work at it I can pull my finger out further but that is really not a natural hold.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Sounds too me like the grip is too small. The palm shelf should not be pressing into your hand. I'd advise getting someone with grip experience take a look at it and see what they suggest. It sounds like cutting down the palm shelf would help that aspect but I can't get a feel for how far off the trigger finger is i.e. if it's a big problem or just sub optimal.

As an experiment you could try removing the shelf completely to see what it feels like. It will be odd without the shelf but may help you locate the problem and help identifiy if it may acyually help the trigger finger positioning.

Rob.
p7willm

Post by p7willm »

I did take the shelf off, it's the only way I can fire for more than a few minutes.

I hold the gun and the finger natually rests the second bone, well past the first joint, on the trigger. In order to get the pad on it I have to work at pulling it back and it gets tiring fairly quickly.

I had pretty much decided to replace the grip but I was just hoping that someone would come along and say it's just fine all you have to do is .....
Don90250

Post by Don90250 »

Another thing to check for is where your middle and ring fingers are on the grip. The middle bones of the two fingers should be on the leading face of the grip and perpendicular to the barrel. Given your description of where your index finger is, I'll bet your middle and ring fingers are really wrapped around the grip.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Why don't you post up a photo or two of you holding the grip ? And no I don't know how to do it <g>

Rob.
Ned

Post by Ned »

There are 3 grip sizes for your pistol. (S,M,L). Is there a mark on the grip ?

Can you mesure the size of your hand ?

Use the following link for reference :

http://www.formgriffe.de/english/parameter.htm#size

- Ned
Ned

Post by Ned »

There are 3 grip sizes for your pistol. (S,M,L). Is there a mark on the grip ?

Can you mesure the size of your hand ?

Use the following link for reference :

http://www.formgriffe.de/english/parameter.htm#size

- Ned
p7willm

Post by p7willm »

Thanks for all the input.

I measured my hand and it is around 95 MM, a large.

Why yess my fingers do wrap around the grip. Looking at I can see the nice flat area at the front for the bone to lay on. When I take a grop my knuckles rest there. If I start putting my fingers where thy belong by the time I get to the palm It's way off.

Oh, and I now see that that point that was sticking into my palm feels a lot nicer if I move it up.

The grip is a 1. I'm going to talk to Top Gun about a 2 or 3.

Now, I assume that I will end up with a grip that is the right size and then I can start the never ending process of taking little bits off and putting other little bits on.

Again thanks
Spencer C

Post by Spencer C »

Makes one glad that we have the number of available custom grip makers in Australia. I.e. a grip to fit the individual with a follow-up service / adjustment - rather than just the small. medium, or large, or a mail order 'custom' grip.

Spencer C
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

The mail order custom grips are suprisingly good. I have just received my second Rink grip and I have to say it fitted real well straight straight out of the box. It also coped with my anatomical requirements which off the shelf grips never could. It would be great if we had a grip maker in the UK but all we have is a few grip modifiers - some of which are very good but you need the grip for them to work with in the first place.

Rob.
top end

Post by top end »

Spencer C - who and where are all these custom grip makers? - we dont hear of many of them in this neck of the woods. There are are few of us that could do with some help - ta
Spencer C

Post by Spencer C »

top end wrote:Spencer C - who and where are all these custom grip makers? - we dont hear of many of them in this neck of the woods. There are are few of us that could do with some help - ta
Certainly in my main area of operations (up and down the east coast) there are quite a few (who will do after sales modifications when necessary at comps)

S