Re: Morini CM22M Alu

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Fireball 57

Re: Morini CM22M Alu

Post by Fireball 57 »

I purchased an CM22M a couple months ago. It is a left-handed aluminum model with a modified Doctor reflex sight mounted for Bullseye. At first the pistol would not reliably function with any ammo, save even the high priced spread. After 1000 rounds of various standard velocity ammo and frequent cleaning with solvent, oiling; it functions with predictibility of all standard ammo! Use Q-tips, oil lightly, use a sixth round snap cap, concentrate on the "fundamentals" and prepare for an excellent shot. Shoot often and bring a friend or new shooter!
Morini CM22

predictable non-reliability

Post by Morini CM22 »

Fireball 57, you are not alone having everlasting trouble with the CM 22s.
Mine have digested, with much difficulty, about 25ooo rounds.

Without oiling, it will with predictable certainty jam. Once or more every clip. As with the MG2 harder ammo helps some, but is not a full cure.
Tuch the top cartridge of very clip lightly with a Q-tip soaked with oil. This will reduce jamming.
magyar

rheem the chamber

Post by magyar »

Polish the chamber.
I had the same problem with mine and polishing the chamber has meant 4-5000 rounds with only 3-4 malfunctions.
Sometimes there are machine marks which cause the case to catch and jam.

Magyar
Morini CM22

imperfect chamber

Post by Morini CM22 »

Magyar, Yesterday I enspected the chamber of my CM22 using a magnifying glass. With some difficulty, and using a bulp, I was able to se two rings in the chamber.
I thought this could be stubborn residue from firing, but intense brushing with a brass brush did not remove it. The two rings are about 2 mm apart (0.08 inch), and about 2/3 to 3/4 af the case lenght into the chamber. (I have never fired any .22 shorts in this chamber). These rings are tool marks from the manufacturing process, I think.

I also noticed that the extractor have abraded the rear right side of the chamber considerably, leaving a irregular, rougly triangular unsupported gap in the chamber. The gap measures some 1,7 by 1,7 mm (0.06 by 0.06 inch). I do not like that, but no case has ruptured at firing so far.
VAshooter

Post by VAshooter »

I am planning on buying a 22 pistol. My two top choices at this time are the Morini and the Pardini. I like the slanted grip angle as it is more compatable with air and free which I also shoot. Both feel good in my hand.

When you pay so much for these pistols they should come from the factory as perfect as is possible to make them. If I buy a $200 Saturday night special I expect ringed chambers and ill fitting extractors but by the time the price tag gets way above a grand you should get something for your money.

I'm not sure I want to buy a kit to build a gun with.

Doug in Virginia
Axel

Post by Axel »

VAshooter wrote:I am planning on buying a 22 pistol. My two top choices at this time are the Morini and the Pardini. I like the slanted grip angle as it is more compatable with air and free which I also shoot. Both feel good in my hand.

When you pay so much for these pistols they should come from the factory as perfect as is possible to make them. If I buy a $200 Saturday night special I expect ringed chambers and ill fitting extractors but by the time the price tag gets way above a grand you should get something for your money.

I'm not sure I want to buy a kit to build a gun with.

Doug in Virginia
Hi Doug,

I have had the same wonderings that you have now. I ended up with a brand new Pardini SP, a choice I don't regret. It's a wonderful pistol.

The Morini is certanly a fine pistol when it works, it feels and shoots very nicely but it seams to be to sensitive regarding feeding etc.

/Axel
VAshooter

Post by VAshooter »

The Pardinis' are hard to find in the US right now because Larry's Guns is supposed to be the importer but BATF is dragging their feet on the paperwork. They want Larry to import just one and then they will make a decision. I guess the BATF doen't know that the country has lots of Pardini 22's in the hands of competition shooters and we've been buying them for years.

Thats what happens when you put the government in charge of something.

Doug in Virginia
dhurt

Post by dhurt »

Fireball, were your malfunctions failure to feed or failure to eject? Do I read correctly that your Morini is now reliable? The Morini has a fantastic trigger, does it not? Thanks
Scott H.

Post by Scott H. »

Let me start by saying that I like my CM22. It is not my favorite standard pistol, but it is a fine gun.

BUT.....The gun doesn't really fit into the "fitted" case it came in. The Swiss in general, and Morini, in particular, pride themselves on the excellence of their products.

But they couldn't take a little time to cut the foam rubber out so that the gun fit properly?
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Africa starts at the alps, and if you believe that the CM-Morinis are produced in Switzerland, you believe everything.
VAshooter

Post by VAshooter »

Mine says "Made in Switzerland" on the receiver. Are you saying they lied?

Doug in Virginia
Scott H.

Post by Scott H. »

Mine clearly says "Made in Switzerland," too.

Could you clarify your comment, Tycho?
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

I assume that Tycho is alluding to the attitude that some French and German speaking Swiss have towards the Italian speaking part of the country i.e. it's "Africa". You get the same thing in Austria where they jokingly call everything east of Vienna, "The Balkans".
Every regional culture likes dumping on their neighbours and that part of the world is no exception. The southern Italians think the north Italians are pompous and oppressive. The North Italians stereotypically think the southern Italians are "peasants". The Italian speaking part of Switzerland likes to look down on their North-Italian neighbours, the German and French speaking parts of Switzerland look down on their Italian speaking countrymen, while I suspect everyone looks down on the Romansh speakers (“How many Romansh speakers does it take to change a light bulb…” sort of thing).
Morini shifted to Switzerland to avoid the Italian legal bureaucracy associated with firearms manufacture, though they essentially remain "Italian". I have heard that Morini's management of production is a little anarchic and is certainly more "Italian" in nature than "Swiss".
j-team

Post by j-team »

Having been to the Morini factory I can assure you that it is in Switzerland, but I will add that it's only a bump in the Swiss/Italian border that stops it being in Italy. And yes they are more Italian than Swiss in the way that they do things.
JLD

Post by JLD »

I use a Morini CM22M all steel since almost two years.
At the beginning, I had numerous problems of ejection, no matter what ammo I will feed in, from the cheapest to the top ranking at 10$/50 rounds.
It seems that some cartridges weaker than the average, or very tight case in the chamber will not produce or prevent enough recoil, and the slide cannot go back enough for the extracted case to hit the ejector and be ejected outside the way. The slide will close again, crushing the empty case against the chamber or worse damaging the next round.
The Morini manual that came with mine says in the general description "...an adjustable dampening system enabling to adapt the mechanism to any king of ammunition...", and then at para. 10. "Adjustment of the dampening recoil system : To adjust the dampening system to your liking, adjust (20). Turn clockwise for powerful ammunitions". Unfortunately, there is no drawing showing this #20 adjustment. I found it deep in the hole at the rear of the recoil spring. An allen key is needed. I unscrew mine 3/4 turn, and so far, jamming is very rare. I can now shoot a match with no problem. It is very important with the new rule of only one allowable malfunction!
I am surprised nobody mention this adjustment in the related posts, since it addresses precisely the problem reported. Anybody played with it ?

On some much rarer occasion, the case get stuck in the chamber, and the extractor just jump out, the slide go back and tries to load the next round into the already obstructed chamber. It is killing in the rapid fire stage! This is where polishing the chamber will help, I hope.
dhurt

Post by dhurt »

Thanks for the input as to where #20 is located. I never was able to find this adjustment, but because my ejection problems are few, I never looked too hard. I may have to try some adjusting and see if I can further minimize my failure to eject incidents. Thanks.
MG2 owner too

buffer adjust

Post by MG2 owner too »

JLD: The buffer adjustment (screw no 20, misleadingly refered to s no 2 in the first manuals) is discribed in a post titled "Morini CM 22" of june 10, initiated by "trinity.

Under this thread, in a post dated june 12, "MG2 owner" comments the buffer.
JLD

Post by JLD »

To "MG2 owner too".
Thanks for the info, others will benefit too.
I review the points of this thread below :
So far I never had feeding problems with my CM22M (purchased new in 2003), only ejecting problems. Now with only 3/4 turn anticlockwise on the #20 recoil buffer adjustment, the ejection problem went away like with the flick of a switch. And the head of #20 is still far deeper than the assembling screw hole. I am not sure the recoil buffer screw should be fully retracted. I suppose Morini designed the system with a few turns "extra" above the usualy fired mild (or weak..) ammo, if not only to still hold that screw in place.
It is right that 2nd stage screw has no set-screw. Mine has not moved on its own so far (10K rnds+), but yes it could have one, because if it unscrew during competition, you might end up disqualified with a weight of less than 1000 g. during a control at the end of the competition. The weight adjustment on my other guns have no set-screw either, and so far none unset.
I find no problem with the nose-heavy weight of my CM22M. In fact I added all three extra weight straight in front (the front weight is fitted enough forward so as to line up with the barrel, still fit in the box!). That makes a pistol weighting 1360 g., just 40 g. under the limit. I find it much more stable for rapid fire event, and now I took the habit and use it like that for 25m and standard pistol events. But this is really only personal taste.
No problem to have a screwdriver ready, I took the habit with my Morini CM162EI air pistol and CM84E free pistol : same screwdriver, at least !