Freeland Bedding Sysyem

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

cmj

Freeland Bedding Sysyem

Post by cmj »

Anybody familiar with the Freeland Bedding system? Was it any good, how to adjust etc. Have it installed on an Anschutz 1411 prone stock, but was not being used. any information needed.
Thanks
Hip's Ax

Post by Hip's Ax »

If your talking about the Freeland Electric Bedder, a barrel pressure device that was installed in the stock fore end, it was used in conjunction with a "flashlight" that came with the kit. Actually a continuity checker, the adjusting screws were backed out so they did not contact the barrel, the flashlight connected and the screws turned in until the light lit. The clicks were counted from this point. It didn't work, I was told by an old shooter that lived thorugh the hay day of the electric bedder and he said you'd mess around with it for a month and when you got it adjusted properly you shot the same exact size groups that the rifle shot with out the bedder. Back the screws out so they don't touch the barrel and forget its there. Neat piece of smallbore history though, I have a new one in the box in my collection.
"Where the heck did that 8 come from?!"
cmj

Post by cmj »

Not electric, must be older than that. Has a ring that slips over the barrel and it is adjusted by a screw in bottom of stock,and then has the two screws in the stock that tighten up to control tension on the barrel by means of nylon buttons that contact the barrel under the screws. Have since been told it didn't work all that great, but looks like was used on this rifle for awhile. Can see where the ring rubbed the blue offf the barrel.
klenbore

Post by klenbore »

The system you have was very similar to the one used on the Winchester Model 52C. Al Freeland's version was an attempt to improve on the Winchester version, neither of which proved to be the answer all.