tremors and slackening wrist

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
trinity

tremors and slackening wrist

Post by trinity »

Hi all,

I have been trying to find a solution to this for a while now, and so far haven't been too successful. As I get tired, I start having tremors in the up right/lower left direction (like this slash /). In precision, I can just abort the shot, but in rapid fire, a tremor can lead to very bad shot indeed.

I think this happens because if you hold your arm out, and as you relax your wrist, it goes low left. So when this happens when I am holding my pistol, I fight with it, and bring it back. But as I get tired, the fine motor control starts to go, and occassionally I get a flip to high right because I've over corrected.

Have you encountered this? What's your solution?

Thanks!
CraigJS

Post by CraigJS »

I've found that using a 2-5 lb barbell weight and in my off hours holding it in my shooting position has helped "build up" my ability to hold steadier longer. I shoot two hand gallery only, but it seems to help me.. Could be worth a try. Time involved would be up to you. Your results may differ.
CraigJS
James Hurr

Tremors

Post by James Hurr »

I found it helpful to move my wrist around whilst holding a weight, eg take aim, keep arm steady, move hand up, down, left, right, circles left, circles right etc.

I think this will lead to better conditioned nerves+muscles, and better hand-eye coordination than just staying still holding a heavy weight. It will also exercise more groups of muscles.
Spencer C

Re: tremors and slackening wrist

Post by Spencer C »

trinity wrote:What's your solution?

Thanks!
1/ get the grip fixed for NPA on the target.
2/ strength to hold a pistol needs both sets of muscles for each group, in addition to gentle 3 to 5lb barbell holding reps (the up hold muscles) there needs to be an equivalent down exercise; set up a pulley system to enable you to do pull down holding reps with the same weights. The pulley system set up in a convenient dooway enables you to do both exercises.
You can also do exercises with this system with 'palm up' and 'palm down' to strengthen the wrist.
IF IT HURTS - STOP - WAIT A FEW DAYS and then try again with a reduced number of reps
3/ get the grip fixed. There is more to grip making than just 'fit'. changes to the grip WILL alter where the pistol points for NPA.

Spencer C
Axel

Post by Axel »

Spencer C wrote:
trinity wrote:What's your solution?

Thanks!
1/ get the grip fixed for NPA on the target.
2/ strength to hold a pistol needs both sets of muscles for each group, in addition to gentle 3 to 5lb barbell holding reps (the up hold muscles) there needs to be an equivalent down exercise; set up a pulley system to enable you to do pull down holding reps with the same weights. The pulley system set up in a convenient dooway enables you to do both exercises.
You can also do exercises with this system with 'palm up' and 'palm down' to strengthen the wrist.
IF IT HURTS - STOP - WAIT A FEW DAYS and then try again with a reduced number of reps
3/ get the grip fixed. There is more to grip making than just 'fit'. changes to the grip WILL alter where the pistol points for NPA.

Spencer C
And what is NPA?

/Axel
Spencer C

Post by Spencer C »

Natural Point of Aim
Axel

Post by Axel »

Spencer C wrote:Natural Point of Aim
Yes, very important indeed. I have been struggeling with my Steyr pointing to the left. Fixed now :-)
jackh

Post by jackh »

I like
Natural Position of Alignment
better