Where do you position the trigger close to the grip or far

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Weekend Shooter

Where do you position the trigger close to the grip or far

Post by Weekend Shooter »

Where do you guys get the best stability. I moved mine much closer now after finding that I would hopelessly drop shots when the trigger blade was down the trigger bar. I thought it was more comfy, but it was not getting the job done
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

If you are talking about forward and backward (available on most target quality pistols) then a good starting position is to have the top pad of the trigger finger at right angles to the line of the barrel at the point of "trigger break".

If you are talking about up and down (only on some pistols) then there is normally only one sensibly comfortable place for the trigger blade.
Last edited by David Levene on Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrmcdaniel

Post by jrmcdaniel »

Not directly related to pistol shooting, but for my air rifle (field target) shooting I had the experience of hurting my trigger finger and shooting with the blade close to the first knuckle instead of on the ball. I thought I was shooting well but did not remark on any difference until the bandaid came off and I moved back to the ball of the finger on the blade. I noticed that my shots were considerably worse. A 1/4" difference in finger position on the trigger made a (relatively) huge difference for me.

What I would suggest is to try different positions of your finger on the blade and different blade positions and angles. I suspect there are no hard-and-fast rules on this but whatever-works-for-you is undoubtedly the best.

That said, I shoot pistol with the blade against my first knuckle, too. One book said that this position gives better control over the squeeze. Also, for triggers above the 1kg setting, this position helps. Now, if I could only shoot pistol as well as I shoot rifle in field target....

Best,

Joe
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

The general concensus is that the trigger should be such that the finger is at 90 degrees to the line of the barrel and that the whorls on the finger pad are in the middle of the trigger. It may need to be elsewhere if heavy force is required but that is the most sensitive part of the finger.

Rob.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

An alternate theory holds that position the trigger such that when you grip teh gun naturally, your finger engages the trigger in a way that when the shot breaks, no movement is induced.

Start with a position that breaks the shot with the extreme (last part) of the finger at a 90 degree angle to the trigger at the exact break, and move forward and back from there.

I find that I need to engage the trigger with only the tip of my finger; using about 1/3 of the trigger width to get best results.

Then again, I am a freak of nature!

*Your* "optimum position" can only be determined through experimentation. The most important issue is defining- and remembering, and noting- what the heck it is you are trying to do (i.e., have the shot break without disturbing the sights).

Steve Swartz
Alejandro

how good shot

Post by Alejandro »

Steve S.
I have noticed and enjoyed your determined opinions on most shooting sport related topics.

With noe mean or impolite intent, let me kindly ask: how long have you been into competitive shooting, ond how well are (was) you doing?
From where do you drain your knowledge and experience?

I am just trying to figure the strength of your points of view.

Regards,

Alejandro.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Alejandro:

I'm not taking any offense at all, and yours is a typical question. This notion of "authority" is problematic in public forums such as this.

However

An alternative perception would be that some of the best shooters in the world are full of crap- or can't express themselves very well- and many of the best teachers of the sport might not be the best shooters. I can honestly say I have learned more along the way by engaging in discussions with those who have excellent ideas and really know what they are talking about.

Note that this applies in both directions- just as I would not automatically parrot the statements of a 580 shooter, I would not automatically discount the perceptions and ideas of a 540 shooter.

The truth of a thing is in the thing itself, not the medium of expression.

What is it in the premise that "the best finger position is that which results in the least disruption at the moment of the break" that seems untrue?

Steve
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Alejandro,

http://www.usashooting.com/results/scor ... 20and%20P)

will answer your question in a more direct fashion than Steve did.

Fred
Alejand.

..doing well

Post by Alejand. »

Thank you, Fred.

There was an entry Stephen, not Steve, but I assume this is the same person.
Heck, he is doing quite well, 565 + 575, and 94 in the final. And not that far behind Daryl.
I think Mr. Swartz can be proud of his results. He knows how to shoot well, and he then also "knows firearms", I recon.

I am looking forward to read his upcoming posts.

Rgds.

Alejandro