A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

2012?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:58 pm

London
19%
Madrid
19%
Moscow
5%
New York
14%
Paris
43%

Total votes: 21

Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

in about 24 hours they announce 2012 !

I have heard in the news that the pundits predict Paris... I believe that is the city that will be selected.... The french have not pissed off as many 3rd world countries as have the US and UK.... Madrid is not a big place on the world scene, spain and moscow had the games in our lifetimes already.

anyone wanna venture a guess?

Poole
http://arizona.rifleshooting.com
bluechucky

Post by bluechucky »

Toss up between London and Paris, with London getting my vote.

Interesting to see.
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

with the poll, I mean who do you "think" will win the IOC vote, NOT who is your personal favorite.

Don't know if I made that clear or not.

I have stated before, I supported Havana, but they were eliminated early.

anyway, its just for fun :)

I can probably learn to speak french, spanish or russian faster than I can learn to shoot a 592 in AP :P

Poole
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Unfortunately I think Paris will get it, which isn't great from a Brit. That said I don't have much of a feel for how good the bids and proposals were so this is more of a gut reaction. I will be keeping my fingers crossed that I'm wrong though.

Rob.
Mike McDaniel

Post by Mike McDaniel »

I'm betting on Paris as well.

That being said, I think the USOC made a mistake in bidding New York. From waht I saw, the Washington-Baltimore bid was stronger.

Post by Guest »

Mike McDaniel wrote:I'm betting on Paris as well.

That being said, I think the USOC made a mistake in bidding New York. From waht I saw, the Washington-Baltimore bid was stronger.
They were hoping NYC would win based on a sympathy vote.
RobStubbs

London has it !

Post by RobStubbs »

Well it appears my scepticism was ill founded, london has won the bidding for the 2012 olympics, better step up my training now ;-)

Rob.
bluechucky

Post by bluechucky »

Just as I thought! Congrats London.
VAshooter

Post by VAshooter »

Congratulations Rob. I'm glad that London got the nod.

Doug in Virginia

Post by Guest »

Where do they propose to shoot, or hasn't that been figured out yet?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Anonymous wrote:Where do they propose to shoot, or hasn't that been figured out yet?
The bid included for a temporary shooting facility in Woolwich. They will allegedly dismantle the finals hall and rebuild it somewhere else in the UK after the games (not that anyone believes them).
Mike McDaniel

Post by Mike McDaniel »

I'm surprised that they aren't shooting at Bisley. Not that it matters - I also have no confidence whatsoever that the equipment will see anything but a junkyard after the Olympics are held.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I don't know the reasoning behind 'why not Bisley' but I suspect much of it needs building from pretty much scratch so why not go elsewhere and perhaps nearer central London.

Rob.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

Not trying to be a complete twit, but isn't most shooting illegal in England these days? I seem to remember reading that the UK Pistol team had to practice outside the country.....

Can someone fill in a few blanks?

Mike
Wichita KS
joydeepk

Long way from beijing

Post by joydeepk »

FINALLY ITS LONDON ! but a long way from beijing! nice globtrottin for athletes who survives!
Fred

Oh the irony....

Post by Fred »

mikeschroeder wrote: isn't most shooting illegal in England these days? I seem to remember reading that the UK Pistol team had to practice outside the country.....Mike Wichita KS
Just to point up the irony, it would seem that the UK pistol team will have to train outside of their own country, in order to compete inside their country. And from another perspective, the UK government must feel that handguns are extremely dangerous in the hands of target shooters, except when large amounts of money are involved.

FredB from enlightened California USA, where the state legislature is well into the process of requiring that every individual handgun bullet and shell casing (including .22LR) be marked with a unique ID code.
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

well, I guess I was wrong....

as to shooting in England, its actually quite popular, especially Palma style highpower (fullbore) rifle. Of our oly events, only the two 25m .22 events cannot be performed in UK under current rules, although few if any outside the UK have a free pistol that is long enough to be legal there.

but don't worry, just like they did a coupla years ago for some commonwealth games, they will change the laws to conform to their own interests.

Hey, if new york had won, we would have had to cancel 5 events, since TSA would not allow athletes to fly in or out of the country with the cylinders for their air guns. We really need to get that problem fixed!

Poole
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

RobStubbs wrote:I don't know the reasoning behind 'why not Bisley' but I suspect much of it needs building from pretty much scratch so why not go elsewhere and perhaps nearer central London.
The official reason for "why not Bisley" is that it is too far from the games village.

As for building the facilities, it will all be temporary at Woolwich although, as I posted earlier, they have said that the new finals hall will be relocated elsewhere in the UK after the games (yeah, right). As for the rest of the facilities, they will have a close encounter with a bulldozer.
Ted Bell

Post by Ted Bell »

Bill Poole wrote:well, I guess I was wrong....

Of our oly events, only the two 25m .22 events cannot be performed in UK under current rules, although few if any outside the UK have a free pistol that is long enough to be legal there.

Poole
Any opnion on whether this will provide an opportunity to get a permant change in the laws to allow these pistols, or will there only be a temporary exception?

-Ted
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Ted Bell wrote:Any opnion on whether this will provide an opportunity to get a permant change in the laws to allow these pistols, or will there only be a temporary exception?
We live in hope, but I am also hoping to win the lottery tonight.

My guess is that it will be the same as for the Commonwealth Games in 2002. Expect a temporary, high security, exemption. Probably for 2 weeks before the games with the pistols to be out of the UK a few days after the closing ceremony.