blank

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Joshua Young

blank

Post by Joshua Young »

blank
Last edited by Joshua Young on Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spencer C

Post by Spencer C »

First guess is that this is unlikely to be as a result of rifle shooting; more likely that shooting is showing up the problem caused elsewhere.

Questions;
- Is shooting the only time the symptoms are occuring?
- Are the symtoms when shooting in prone, or kneeling / standing?

Spencer C
Bob LeDoux

Post by Bob LeDoux »

I had carpal tunnel surgery on my pistol shooting hand last week. The symptoms first occurred for me 15 years ago while riding a bicycle. Resting my hands on the handlebars caused them to go to sleep due to the compression angle and pressure.

I doubt the shooting is the cause, unless you spend hours a day at it and have done so for years. The handstop places the hand at an awkward angle. This can aggravate an existing condition.

Unfortunately, the shooting may be your only activity that causes discomfort. Eventually it may become more prevalent.
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

Yes, had this problem during and after our Outdoor Nationals. Shooting one or two 60 shot matches everyday for a week caused the problem initially. Numbness in base of thumb for 8 weeks. Changed from Anschutz Protech glove to a better padded Saur Topstretch glove, ground out the left corner of my stock where it was digging into my hand/thumb and the problem has diappeared. It took some time of not shooting for the numbness to disappear. Everytime I shot I aggrievated it for a while so I had to rest for 6 weeks.
Cheers
Martin