What air rifle?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Walisongo

What air rifle?

Post by Walisongo »

I've been a pistol shooter for years and want to take up air rifle shooting. I need some advice on pros and cons of the different makes and models on offer. I'll be looking for something secondhand in PCP, any advice welcome.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Considering used I would look at either an Anschutz 2002ca or a FWB P70. There are others but these two mentioned are by far (very far) most common and have earned excellent reputations. Which you choose is pretty much in my oppinion a matter of preference. I have both.
Walisongo

Post by Walisongo »

Thanks pdeal
Think I actually tried the 2002ca once and liked it. I'll ask about an see if I can have a try with both. See which suits me best. Is there anything I should look out for in a secondhand one that I should avoid?

You have both! one for each hand? lol
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

No, the P70's are the guns my daughters shoot. Mine is the 2002. I say they are mine because I paid for them.

Not sure what to tell you to look for. General good condition I guess. I have not seen a P70 or an ans 2002ca that was not quite a bit better shooter than me.
TWP

Post by TWP »

I agree with Pdeal,

The Anschutz 2002ca and the FWB P70 are by far the most popular.

If you find a P70 Jr. model they are very easy to add a barrel extension and extra weights which bring them up to adult specs. Parts to do so cost around $150.
Walisongo

Post by Walisongo »

Thanks A lot for the advice, so much easier when the choice is norrowed.
I'll buy new if I have to but would keep the mrs happy if I could get a second hand one, would save my hearing a bit, if you know what I mean.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Isn't the stock for the P70 Jr smaller than the stock for the P70? Does FWB have a "conversion kit" to make the P70 Jr a P70?

Jim
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

The P70jr is a P70 with a shorter barrel, no compensator, and a jr ambi stock. The stock is not all that much shorter so a spacer can be installed to extend the butt. Barrel extensions can also be bought. This was a more desireable approach when P70jr's were plentiful and $750-$800. Now they are more like $1000 and not so common. The ambi stock is real good but not quite as good as the P70's stock which is either RH or LH. Since the prices of the two nowadays is often close I would go for a full sized gun unless the jr was a real bargain.
P30man

Post by P30man »

One thing to look out for on the FWB.

Check the cylinder hasn't been over tightened, it only needs to be hand tight, those that have been continually tightened with the tool provided will eventually ruin the thread.
TWP

Post by TWP »

Jim,

We've converted several P70jr's for shooters as they grow.

As Pdeal said, it's pretty easy.

We use brass spacers for the butplate, lead weights in the forearm and either aluminum or brass barrel extensions with sight riser blocks.
OregonMike

P70

Post by OregonMike »

One of ways to narrow your choice of air rifles is the purpose for which it is to be used. Our club shoots US Bench Rest at 25 yards. The P70s and Steyrs shoot one class and the 10 meter (Anschutz) shoot another. There's quite a difference from the wind whether you're shooting at 600fps or 850 and above. The P70s with their higher velocity are the most popular.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Your P70's must be field target rifles or something. My P70's shoot about the same speed as my Ans 2002- about 550fps
OregonMike

P70

Post by OregonMike »

Yes, sorry. The P70s we are using ARE Field Target FWBs.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

a follow on to PDEAL

I have a P70-jr, and the ambi stock is not as comfortable as a true right-hand stock. It is in the pistol grip area that the difference is. I guess they don't sell enough jrs to make a true right-hand & left-hand stock economical. Having said that, for me being small in size, the shorter jr stock fits me better than a full size stock. I would suspect this would be true for all the jr rifles where they use an ambi stock.

gud luk
Gary
tcsantelli

Post by tcsantelli »

I have too agree with pdeal.

the feinwerkbau and anschutz air rifles. BUT don't forget about walther air rifles. I have one and I love it. I have the lg-300xt. I have seen some walther's used for sale. Just throwin some info around.

Tom