Mg2 cycling

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Greg

Mg2 cycling

Post by Greg »

Has anyone else had any trouble with the cycling of a MG2 in the 10 sec stage or Duelling stage during matches. I use sk ammo and have no trouble in the slow fire section but as soon as I start anything quicker the ammo tends to feed sideways after 1 or 2 shots.
Thanks
MG2owner

noncycling MG2s

Post by MG2owner »

Welcome to the world of MG2-reality, Greg!
"Anyone else had problems with MG2 cycling?"
The question had better be: has anyone out there NOT had any trouble with the MG2? The answer is probably NO.

The MG2 has integral design flaws that render this gun unreliable. Mine will be offered for sale at a bargain price. For wall-hanger use only.
The MG2 was released from the factory without enduring field testing.
This is sad, because if the flaw were corrected, the MG2 would be a nice shooter.
Ted Bell

Re: noncycling MG2s

Post by Ted Bell »

MG2owner wrote:The question had better be: has anyone out there NOT had any trouble with the MG2? The answer is probably NO.
I would recommend you not make generalizations based on one gun. My MG2 works flawlessly with any ammo that I feed it, and the people I know with MG-2's have also experiences similar to mine. Have you sent yours to someone to be looked at? Your problem might very well be correctable. You say yours will be for sale for a bargain price- how much?

-Ted
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Greg,

As with most discussion forums, those with an axe to grind will do there best to grind it here, rather than going to the manufacturer or dealer to get the problem fixed.

I have an MG-2 that's somewhere in the middle of the production range, and it functions very well, irrespective of ammo choice. It shoots extremely accurately in slow fire (so much so that I'd be tempted to use it as my backup free pistol, if I didn't already have a couple of thosee). It also functions very, very well on rapidfire stages. When I say rapid fire, I'm talking Olympic rapid fire - 5 shots in 4 seconds.

At the moment my gun is going through a torture test to see how long it can go without cleaning it. 700+ rounds so far with only one failure to feed, and that happened while somebody else was shooting it. Of the 700 rounds, most have been Eley, while there's been some Win T22, Remington Target, cheapo Remington stuff, as well as RWS. It eats everything I feed it without a hiccup or burp.

One of the key things to look at is a slow motion evaluation of how the gun operates. Cyle the slide slowly and look for parts that don't move as freely as they should. Look for cross pins (those stainless steel pins that act has pivot points for the various levers in the action) which have drifted too far to one side. And when in doubt, pour some good oil on the action. The last misfeed that occured when I was shooting the pistol happened right after I had cleaned it and had failed to lubricate it. A few drops of oil on the hinge points and it worked well afterwords.

If you do a search here you'll find other posts on this same subject. I know recent posters talked about having to file the extractor in order to get reliable operation. Keep looking around here as you'll find all kinds of helpful info, and lots of folks who, unlike "MG2owner", have taken a few extra minutes to work the kinks out of their MG2. I know I have and now love the gun!
SteveT

Re: Mg2 cycling

Post by SteveT »

Greg wrote:Has anyone else had any trouble with the cycling of a MG2 in the 10 sec stage or Duelling stage during matches. I use sk ammo and have no trouble in the slow fire section but as soon as I start anything quicker the ammo tends to feed sideways after 1 or 2 shots.
Thanks
If the gun behaves differently in slow vs sustained fire, then the shooter is doing something different. I would look very carefully at what you are doing, especially in the grip. Could you be relaxing your grip or wrist?

I am not familiar with the MG2. If the next round is feeding in wrong, then perhaps the gun is getting jerked just as the round is released or just as the nose is about to go into the chamber. Again, this must be shooter induced. Maybe it is the opposite of limp wristing, you are snapping the gun back to the target at just the right time. I don't know, just a guess.

FWIW, the one MG2 example I have seen functioned perfectly and had the best trigger I have ever felt.

Steve T
bluechucky

Post by bluechucky »

I shoot only air, so I have no axe to grind, but I do read through this forum a fair bit, and I seem to notice that the MG2 has had a lot of negative press, especially in the early days.
MG2 owner

MG2 exchange

Post by MG2 owner »

Ted Bell: Are your well-cycling "all-brands-of-ammo digesting" MG2 for sale? According to the knowledge and experiences in my country you have a rare an so a valuable specimen!
How much do you charge for your MG2?
You could have mine at a 50 % discount.

All the MG2s I know of in this country have faced repeated failures to feed and/or extract properly. And all these MG2s are very ammo-selective.
How come your experiences are so different?
One frustrated owner are trying to trade off his MG2, but no one is willing to buy.

I have fired 3000 round in my MG2. The BIL (bullet insert lever) broke at about 2000 rounds. Others have had similar experiences.
william

Post by william »

Attention: everybody who is unhappy with your MG2. Stop threatening to sell. Put a price on it, and start a thread in the Buy-Sell-Trade forum. I know it will be less fun to have money instead of a pistol, but think of what you can buy which you can then complain about.
greg

Post by greg »

Thanks Mark for the feed back. It is still new, only shot around 500-700 rounds so may need a little longer to loosen up. In the slow fire I find the gun great, much better than my old one a Pardini SP, just seems a little tempramental later on. Very frustrating when you've got your 1 minute to get ready and your trying to dig out some ammo that has fed wrong for the first shot. No way am I selling and I'll just keep on trying till it comes right.
MG2 sceptic

will not come right

Post by MG2 sceptic »

Greg, you wrote: "I´ll just keep on trying till it comes right".
Then I consider you an opportunist.

I do not think it ever will "come right", Greg. No matter how much you try and hope.

So you traded away that Pardini of yours? Really? Had a couple of jams?
From the box especially the newer Pardinis have a relatively stiff recoil spring, and operates best when fed relatively hard ammo, e.g. Federal Champion" and CCi "Standard" (by me considered upper level "standard velocity level ammo") usually works ok at normal temperatures.
Reducing the spring tension by 1 turn will let the Pardini operate ok with softer target ammo.
Before reducing spring tension, buy an extra spring, in case you will reverse things.

All in all the Pardinis are considered a best buy at the time being in my region.

Rgds,

"realistic sceptic"
Scott H.

Post by Scott H. »

I've owned my MG-2 now for about 18 months. I had some problems with it initially, but, once they were corrected, the gun has worked flawlessly.
MG2 sceptic

non-cycling

Post by MG2 sceptic »

Scott H, may I ask what was the nature of your "initial" problems of your MG2, and how did you correct them?

Rgds,

profoundly MG2 sceptic.
Scott H.

Post by Scott H. »

The tip of the sear broke off. Don Nygord sent me a new one, saying that some of them had been tempered improperly, but that the problem had been solved. It was easily installed. That was more than a year ago, and I haven't had any problems since.
Alex

MG2 cycling

Post by Alex »

I'm one of those MG2 owners who will not sell mine at any price unless I knew I could lay my hands on another. Having said that however I must admit as I read on a post before I got mine that it is not for everyone. You must know more than just how to disasemble and clean a target gun. It's been my experience with any cutting edge target weapon that you must know a little gunsmithing. Even my old Clark "built" HI Standard is moe finicky than my factory Victor (i can't just slip in a factory new magazine and have it work.). But the trigger and enhanced accuracy make it worth the little hassle.
I'm very happy with my MG2. I've had to work on the trigger and had wear problem on my slide that I've had to correct, but given the new rules for RF, I can't think of a gun that I've ever shot that is more suited to the game. Is it the perfect SP? No, unless you can shoot good slow fire with a rolling trigger. Then again I never thought that I could shoot both events with the same gun because the events are different.

Hold center,

Alex
Ernie Rodriguez

MG-2 Cycling

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

Now that I have had my MG-2 for about 6/7 weeks and have put about 2.5k shots through it,I can make a small observation on it.If you keep the chamber reasonably clean and keep it oiled there aren't any problems with the pistol-so far.Disassembling the pistol is a snap-if you wish to thorougly clean it.Neal Stepp,of I.S.S.,is the current dealer.After a brief break in and learning period-operation is flawless.I have tried the following with great sucess-SK std plus,pistol match(reg and spec),CCI PM and std,Fed 711b,714,Lapau pistol king,super club,RWS tgt rifle,Aguila rifle match and Eley PM.I currently use ammo that is cost effective for me and most importantly-shoots accurately,burns clean,minimum lubricant on casing and allows rapid sight recovery characteristic.I feel the advantages of the pistol far outweigh the occasional hiccup that happens to most tgt pistols.I ordered some parts for pistol,magazine,recoil spring etc-mostly to see if the Matchgun Company is prompt and supports the dealers.Will report on that later.The construction of pistol is such that a reasonably qualified pistolsmith,supplied with the parts,or a talented shooter can replace the parts,if necessary.Ernie.