Transport ammo

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

BM

Transport ammo

Post by BM »

Next month I will shoot the European Championships in Belgrade, Serbia-Montenegro. To travel we go by plane. I heard that match-ammuniton which is very good will become 'training-ammo' when it has flown.
Does anyone have any experience on this and do you know any solution to prevent this? All your tips/tricks are welcome!

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

BM
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

i have only flown with match ammo twice and shot my best scores both times.

I could see no difference occuring in the ammo. due to the flight

I would like to hear other's experiences on this.

Good shooting

Poole
http://arizona.rifleshooting.com/
Aeronaut

aviative pressure drops

Post by Aeronaut »

Yes, BM you are absolutely right.

It is a well proven fact that ammo, e.g. rimfire ammo will, will deteriorate markedly when exposed to sudden pressure and temperature variations in the cargo room of an airplane.
I have experiences duds when firing ammo transported by airplane. No doubt about that.
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

It's sort of like wine. We do the best we can to store it at the right temperature, etc., but we really don't know where it's been before we got it.

As far as ammo goes, what is the alternative? Drive from NY to Colorado? Or ship it by truck with no control over conditions? I'm with Bill on this one.
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

The cargo hold in all commercial airplanes is pressurized to the same level as the passenger cabin as long as the cargo compartment is between the front and rear pressure bulkheads. If there is cargo or baggage beneath where you are seated, it is at the same pressure but perhaps a bit colder. Cabin pressure in virtually all pressurized aircraft is kept at the equivalent of 8000 feet/2400 meters altitude.

The changes in pressure in the cargo hold are no more sudden than what they are in the passenger cabin. Temperature is also controlled in portions of the hold, as there is where they ship live animals and such.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

If you shouldn't put ammo on a plane, how do the European ammo manufactuers (Elel, SK, Lapua) get their ammo to the US or Australia? So they put it on a ship?

Jim
BM

Post by BM »

Good point, Jim!

I asked other shooters and they said pressure is not the problem, cold is the problem. When an airplane doesn't transport animals or any other goods which need to be conditioned the possibility will be that the ammo freezes. This would cause ammo to increase it's grouping.

Considering transport of ammo by Eley etc; I know almost sure the transport it per boat, the weight of the ammo would give major transportcosts and make ammo even more expensive!

Thanks all for your reply's so far!
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

Jim B wrote:how do the European ammo manufactuers (Elel, SK, Lapua) get their ammo to the US or Australia? So they put it on a ship?

Jim
Yes, they ship it by sea. Air freight tariffs are too expensive for anything that doesn't need to be expedited.
Spencer C

Post by Spencer C »

Jose Rossy wrote: Yes, they ship it by sea. Air freight tariffs are too expensive for anything that doesn't need to be expedited.
I understand that commercial quantities have to come in via an explosives wharf (i.e. shipping), though I can remember a middle east team turning up by air to a World Cup with a pallet of shotgun ammo... made the hotel accommodation overjoyed to have a truck turn up at their reception with the ammo.

Spencer
BM

Post by BM »

well, I won't take such amount of ammo with me. About 500 round of .22 ammo.

Nobody any expereince about the 'freezy' subject I posted in a earlier reply?
DEAmiot

Post by DEAmiot »

Flying with .22 ammo really is not an issue. I have done it on several occasions, and had no problems. Just about everyone that shoots the Junior Olympics does it, and I have never heard complaints about it.