carrying case

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Keld

carrying case

Post by Keld »

Hello.

Does anyone know how to cut foam for cases. Using a sharp knife will do for those long straight lines, but isn't suitable for curves. A long time ago, (20-25 years) I saw a tool, which cuts in foam and polystyrene with a heated wire. It made nice, smooth cuts, even curves, but I don't know where to find it, or even better, make one myself.

can anybody help?

Keld
zoned

Re: carrying case

Post by zoned »

Keld wrote:Does anyone know how to cut foam for cases.
Use an electric kitchen carving knife. Mount and align vertically on a table leg, and it becomes a coping saw that easily carves foam.
3d

Post by 3d »

Have you tried taking a look at your local craft shop? The one my wife uses is a hand-held unit found in the the floral dept. that looks like a flashlight with a bow and wire attached to it for about $7 made by FloraCraft. I have also seen another one that looks like a hobby-sized scroll saw for around $20. These hot wire cutters are made for styrofoam. I would suspect that polystyrene foams would emit toxic fumes when melted. Most fitted case foams that are die cut. Another more elaborate method uses a process similar to sand blasting.
WSmith

Post by WSmith »

Micro-Mart sells such a "hot wire" cutting tool for model railroaders to use for shaping scenery. Though it's intended for use more with styrene, it may have applications for use with softer gun case foam.

Micro-Mark has a web page: www.micromark.com

Check out item #81622.