Question on prices from a newbie...

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Orgnoi1

Question on prices from a newbie...

Post by Orgnoi1 »

This site put me on the path to doing some 3P shooting, both Air and Smallbore... now I just got two classic rifles and want to know if I got hosed....

I picked up a FWB300S (Daisy/FWB) for $400 and an Anschutz Match 54 for $725... both are in exceptional shape and came with some extras...

So was I hosed or are those pretty good prices?
P30man

Post by P30man »

The FWB 300s sells for about £250 - £300 here in the U.K.

So I would say you have a bargain, they are still a very accurate rifle.

Regards
TWP

Post by TWP »

I don't think you got ripped off.

The Match 54 price depends upon which model, what stock it has, condition, ect.... $750 it not a bad price. I've seen some for almost twice that.

The FWB300S I'm not real familiar with, I push our kids towards the Compressed air rifles not the ones that require cocking, they are just a lot easier in prone and kneeling. But I'd say you'll be competitive for several years with what you just bought.
Orgnoi1

Post by Orgnoi1 »

Here is a picture of the two of them... the Match 54 first obviously...LOL

and the FWB300S

Juan Carlos

Match 54

Post by Juan Carlos »

Orgnoi1:

The Anschütz you have got is a 60´s rifle (the last two digits of the fabrication year are in the left side of the barrel beside the eagle punch) and the number will have no more than 5 digits.
They are excelent rifles if well cared.
To obtain best results you must buy an iris for the rear sights. Perhaps you have to suplement the cheek part of the stock to raise the good position.
Check the correction screws of the rear sights works well.
You have to adapt the stock´s length to your measures adding or cutting wood.
The butplate hook is, in my opinion, a litle short but much better than the modern ones.
Congratulations.
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

You got a great deal on both.

I agree with Juan Carlos. Spend the $50 that a Gehmann, Anschutz, or Centra adjustable rear iris will cost. You will be amazed at the difference. If you want a really cool sight picture, get a Gehmann 530 rear iris (it comes with an adjustable focus 1.5X lens).
Orgnoi1

Post by Orgnoi1 »

thank you all for all the great answers... can you point me in a direction for finding the adjustable iris' online?

Post by Guest »

I'm guessing from the Gehmann logo at the top of this page that our hosts will sell you an iris.

Also if you intend to shoot prone you will need a handstop/sling swivel. These like irises can be bought mail order.

Tim S

Exeter UK
Albert

Feinwerkbau 300

Post by Albert »

I am not familiar with prices but I own a Feinwerkbau 300S Universal (adjustable cheeckpiece). Accuracy is superb when in good condition, although it is more difficult to master the rifle than modern compressed air rifles due to the movement and change of balance of the system on recoil.
Check the seal at the breech for leak.
Albert
(The Netherlands)