IZH-46M vs. FAS AP609

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
KrizakCz

IZH-46M vs. FAS AP609

Post by KrizakCz »

Please help!I had 46M and scored quite well,then I received FAS AP609 from Czech Shooting Federation,and I shoot 6´with it!Do not know what to do:(The FAS barrel is quite wide for the pellet,the pellet has a lot of place around it.At the end of the barrel, it is so narrow,that the pellet can hardly get through.Is this normal?Been shooting with TAU 6,TAU7,Izh-46M and none of these guns had this feature.Thanks
Fred

AP change

Post by Fred »

I can't comment on your question regarding the barrel, other than to say that some airgun barrel makers do use a small amount of "choke" at the muzzle end. However, I do note that the guns you previously used more successfully are all relatively heavy, and the 46/46M is particularly heavy at the front end. Perhaps you are just accustomed to the dampening effect of a heavy front end, and the much lighter FAS allows more rapid muzzle movement that you are not used to controlling. To see if this is the problem, you could rig up some kind of front end weight(s) and try your FAS with different balances. Just a thought...

Fred
KrizakCz

Post by KrizakCz »

Thanks Fred.I´ve just put some provisional weights at the end of the barrel and the results got better.

Honza
jrmcdaniel

Post by jrmcdaniel »

I'm still a relative beginner at this sport (522/600 and working on 540), but I switched from a IZH-46 (not 46M) to a SAM M10 and initially had some weights on the SAM. I noticed that nobody else seems to have weights in the limited matches I have competed in and tried my SAM with no weights. It felt a bit strange initially but my scores started improving rather quickly. I did have the feeling that my grip was more important with less barrel weight and I concentrate on establishing my grip a bit more now. I really do prefer the SAM without the weights now -- I suspect that the important thing is to pick a configuration and learn to shoot that without making frequent changes.

Best,

Joe
KrizakCz

Post by KrizakCz »

Thanks Joe.You are completely right about the concentration,but one of my problems is,that I have strong hands,but very unstable.I had 4 weights on my TAU 7 (overall weight was 1350g) and even thought about putting some weights on the 46M.As you,I tried without weights on the FAS,but seems it is not for me:(. With 46M: 548/600 with FAS:have not been competing with it yet,but during training,it was something like 515,510:(I have put some weights and will see the results during the first match.The training results were better after installing weights.Will see..And I'm sorry for my english,needs also training:)

Best regards

Honza
dhurt

Post by dhurt »

Maybe go back to shooting the 46M. I have shot some pistols that just did not work well for me. Case in point, I struggled for years to break into the 570's with my Pardini K 60, I switched to a Morini last year, and now have a personal high match score of 575. I think the Morini is just a little better feeling for me. Maybe there is another air pistol that will fit your style better, though practise is very important.