Art of World Class Pistol Shooting

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
adams

Art of World Class Pistol Shooting

Post by adams »

About six months ago I purchased a book entitled "The Art of World Class Pistol Shooting" by Chet Skinner. At the time I was shooting 10 meter air rifles only and wanted to see if any of the information would transfer to help with rifles. I read the publication cover to cover but it seemed the recommended techniques applied primairly to precision handguns and I set the book aside. About 4 weeks ago I purchased my first target pistol, a Styer LP10 and have been shooting it in my basement range every morining. Yesterday I again came across Chet Skinners book and refreashed my memory about his techniques. The book suggestes a very different method of shooting that includes relesing the shot within 2 seconds of of holding the bull. He talks about quiet zone, perfect bulls eye and several other concepts that are very different from what I see other pistol shooters doing. Yesterday I tried some of his methods with varied sucess. When I was abole to get the shot off early it was nearly always a 9 or 10. When I overheld to long the shot was way off the mark. My question is are these techniques worth developing or is Chet in left field? Also do any of the current top shooters use Chet's techniques?
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

I do not recall seeing Chet post here on target talk, but he is an active participant in the conversations at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/uit_mailing_list/ during the bursts of interest that forum has every month or so.

Poole
http://arizona.rifleshooting.com/
David Levene

Re: Art of World Class Pistol Shooting

Post by David Levene »

adams wrote:Also do any of the current top shooters use Chet's techniques?
He will claim that they do, but I have yet to see a TOP shooter admitting to following his teachings.
pilkguns back home

Post by pilkguns back home »

Chet has been banned from posting on Target Talk for more than 3 years or so now .

This is due to Mr. Skinners false claims, exaggerations, outright plagiarisms, and his generally offensive manner in which he conducts himself with those who notice all those various "discrepancies".

Some of his "theories" are not invalid to shooting, but they are certainly not his unique intellectual ideas, and for the vast majority of coaches and shooters his methods are not used or endorsed.
jrmcdaniel

Post by jrmcdaniel »

One of the best discussions on pistol shooting I have run across is from the Army and it is available from http://alberta.indymedia.org/media/docs ... 0Guide.pdf (do a search on 'US Army "Pistol Marksmanship Training Guide"').

For rifle shooting, "The Ways of the Rifle" is the best in my opinion. I found a lot that helped in it for my (other) sport of Field Target.

Best,

Joe
Fred Mannis

Skinner

Post by Fred Mannis »

Adams,
I too bought Skinner's book when I started AP last year. I found his writing to be pedantic and dense. I found the idea of the one shot match (certainly not unique to him) to be useful, but a two page description/check list of the shot process to be a hindrance to developing ones own shooting skills. I have found the discussions on this web site on physical and mental training to be far more useful.
YMMV
Fred
F. Paul in Denver

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

Adams,

I suggest a thorough reading of Gil Hebard's collection of essays entitled "Pistol Shooter's Treasury"

It is a compilation of short and very well written articles by some of the finest world class shooters.

It is a must read which no pistol shooter should be without it. Dont be deluded into thinking it's strictly a book about bullseye shooting - it is not. The training methodologies in the book are applicable to all the pistol disciplines.

It's available for about $5.00 USD through Gil Hebard who does not have a website. Here's some contact info:

... Gil Hebard Guns 125 Public Square Knoxville, IL 61448. (309) 289-2700 Fax: (309) 289-2233 ...

Welcome to the sport . . .
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

F. Paul in Denver wrote:Adams,

I suggest a thorough reading of Gil Hebard's collection of essays entitled "Pistol Shooter's Treasury"

It is a compilation of short and very well written articles by some of the finest world class shooters.

It is a must read which no pistol shooter should be without it. Dont be deluded into thinking it's strictly a book about bullseye shooting - it is not. The training methodologies in the book are applicable to all the pistol disciplines.

Welcome to the sport . . .
Hi

The book is also available elsewhere, but Gil DID write it. I have it and it's a VERY good book. Several of the boys who have taken the National Pistol championships more than once are authors.

Mike