Steyr Free Pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Alex L

Steyr Free Pistol

Post by Alex L »

Can anyone help me with an evaluation of the Steyr Free Pistol, please?
I have a vintage Hammerli 106, which has worked hard for the last 30 years (at least).
There is one person in my Club who has a Steyr Free Pistol for the last 3 or 4 years. However he is not the best person to evaluate this gun.
I see that over the last couple of years, the International shooters mainly use Moroni, Pardini, or Toz Free Pistols. I am wondering why.

As the Steyr Air Pistols are so popular, why are people not using their Free Pistols?
I see that here in Oz the Free Pistols are priced at about $2300 Australian.
Even the Australian shooters are not using it, so I wondered what is the reason.
I was able to handle the Club member's Steyr, and the balance felt good, and he seems to enjoy using it. He is the only person I know who is using one. Why?
Thanks.
Alex L.
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

The Steyr Free Pistol went out of production fairly quickly. New TOZ are available, but new Steyr are not readily available, if at all.
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

Yes that's quite a gun---I had a chance to shoot one that belonged to a friend---it was a rather weird gun to load and with the low barrel position it seemed to be quite steady--- Steyr hasn't produced them for at least five years---grips were also quite unique with all sorts of adjustments possible. I think the gun may have had potential but, it never sold nor seemed to make it on the shooting scene.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

The current indoor 50 foot NRA junior and collegiate record of 555 was shot with a Steyr. John Bikar used the gun for about a year in the late 90's but the pistol has been sitting in the safe since then. It does load a little unusually and the grips are a little "chunky". My team seems to prefer Hammerli and Pardini.

Steyr free pistol

Post by GUEST »

I testfired a few shots through a Steyr free pistol a few years ago. It was owned by a Finnish national team member.
Barrel position is very low, recoil is unusual, and it kicks directly into the center of your palm.
Loading was unusual and uneasy. Dry-firing was not easy, either.
The gun is heavy, and the grip of thin-laminated wood felt clumpsy.

The low-postioned barrel, and hence the "correct" recoil, is teoritically a good idea. In a free pistol with a short dwell-time, this could make a "forgiving" gun. Perhaps we could see this feature in future free pistols?
Bill A.

Post by Bill A. »

I've had one of these for quite a few years now and have always liked it. I like the low bore line and the grips (mine are the laminated ones). The compensator (a simple beveled O-ring) is worthless, becomes fouled quickly, and should be removed (takes 20 seconds). It's weird, but kinda fun.

Bill
bluechucky

Post by bluechucky »

A few of these are floating around in Australia. See:

http://www.viccityarms.com.au/view.ihtml?mainid=1103