How do you practice/train?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Ted Bell

How do you practice/train?

Post by Ted Bell »

I've been wondering, given the diverse group on this list, how each person practices? Do you have a set practice routine that you follow? Do you have any specific drills or exercises that you work on? Dry-fire or live-fire? Or do you just try to squeeze the trigger as often as possible while focusing on the basics? What do you do to improve your shooting on a general level, and what do you do to focus on the requirements of your particular discipline?

Thanks,
Ted
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

I try to dry fire at home in the basement regularly for prone and standing with both my SB and HP rifles. I also practice rapid fire dry fire drills with the Model 70 using dummy cartridges.

Sometimes I practice prone with the Anschutz using live ammo and the 10M air rifle targets in the basement. I made a bullet stop box from a cardboard box stuffed with old books and full three-ring binders.

I try to make it to the SB club once a week to get at least 50 shots prone. Right now I concentrate on prone because prone SB matches are about 99% of the local matches and I also need the prone practice for HP. I will also start mixing some standing practice at the SB range, mostly for HP.

When I shoot I mostly focus on executing the basics flawlessly and running experiments with the position itself and the rifle's adjustments.
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

Boy, this is a lively crowd........

A question like this in the HP forum I frequent would have nearly two pages of replies.

Come one, people. Ted asked an excellent question, one that we could all learn from. If there were more input than just mine.
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

I used a Scatt for a while with smallbore rifle. I think dry fire, especially with such a machine could be even more valuable than live fire. If one were to do it regularly

I shoot air pistol almost every day, even just 20 shots if I can. This is not near enuf

I dry fire sometimes. (Air Pistol or 25m pistol) but not near enuf

If I were REALLY dedicated, I would add some visualization and mental rehearsal, but I am lazy and my scores show it.

I goto the gym at work and do some arm exercizes a coupla times a week

unfortunately, whatever I am doing, if it works I am doing too little and if it hurts i must be doing too much.... cuz i have been in a slump since september.

good shooting

Poole
http://arizona.rifleshooting.com/
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Like most people I probably do way too little and the wrong kind of 'training'. I shoot AP three times a week, plus whatever competitions I shoot at the w/e - which tends to be on average a couple a month. My shooting tarining is normally something like 40 - 60 shots twice a week and 80 - 100 once a week. I do some actual training exercises but not enough and most of my practice is straightforward shooting ordinary cards.

I also do a bit of dry firing - once or twice a week for about 20 mins each time. I play sport 3 times a week and do some exercises every morning.

My big problem is that I don't know how best to divide and structure my shooting training to improve my results. I'm reluctant to try and train harder just shooting cards because I know that's the wrong thing to do. Hopefully I'll get some more detailed information from a coach but it's very hard to come by.

Rob.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

I have disassembled the elements of both physical skills and technique required for delivering a perfect shot. My training routine includes 45 minutes, 5 days a week on the physical side (aerobic and anaerobic). Also I train to a baseline of all technique areas 6 days a week (30 min sessions). The problem areas, or focus areas, are identified for "bang for hte buck" training time investment and the remaining 30 minutes sessions (5 times per week) are dedicated to trouble/focus areas above the baseline. Cap off each week with a diagnostic session (match conditions; full match) to determine focus areas for next week.

Ends up being 276 minutes of running/biking/weighlifting etc. per week.

330 minutes of technique elements (trigger, alignment, hold, etc. per week.

100 minutes of match & diagnostics; tack on 30 minutes of analysis per week.

Hey, wait a minute- wasn't this supposed to be a *hobby?*

Steve Swartz

[Note that in the above the key is not "How Much" time I am investing- but more importantly "How" the time is being spent. It's knowing what the individual components of a perfect shot are, and developiong specific drills to work those components in isolation and in tandem. FOCUSED TRAINING AGAINST SPECIFIC OUTCOMES! Or all you are doing is wasting your time "capping rounds."]
Hap Rocketto

Training

Post by Hap Rocketto »

Training has to be directed toward a goal, be it short or long term. Once you have established a goal, be it a level of performance or competition, develop a written plan to meet that goal with objectives spaced to measure progress to the goal that includes mental training, technical training/equipment preparation, dry and live firing.

Once you have begun the plan it is important to set a calendar of training and keep written records to insure that you can make data based decisions to adjust the training to meet the goal. A goal is cast in concrete but the training plan is writ in sand.

Your training plan must be realistic, as should be your goal, in regard to available resources such as time, money, coaching, and training facilities. A series of modest goals that are completed will help instill confidence as you progress to a larger goal.

Take a look at some of the books out on the market for guide lines. I suggest Pullem and Hanenkrat's Position Rifle Shooting as a start. It is a rifle book but the training and mental game material is universal.

No matter your approach remember to set realistic goals and keep good written records so you can evaluate the plan and your progress.
Ted Bell

Post by Ted Bell »

Steve Swartz wrote:. . . Also I train to a baseline of all technique areas . . . ]
Steve-
Can you explain what you mean by this?

Thanks,
Ted
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Ted:

I mentioned that I disassembled the shot into "technique elements:"

ELEMENT BEHAVIOR

APPROACH
Stance Relaxed, stable, natural POA
Grip Firm, consistent, locked wrist

HOLD
Hold Rapid, Smooth, positive aim
Settle Small, calm, pause at aim center

ALIGN
Focus Crisp, intense front sight
Align Stable, sharp right angles

TRIGGER
Trigger Smooth, straight continuous positive press
Follow Placid release, dead hand

FOCUS
Intensity Single absorbed concentration
Duration Peak focus over time

RELAXATION
Depth Flat thoughtless void
Stability Motionless, solid, level

O.K., each element pair rolls up into the header "macro elements" as indicated. Hold & Align gives you perfect "Point" while Align & Trigger gives you perfect "Release." Point plus Release give you a perfect "Shot." And Focus plus Relaxation give you perfect "Flow" (from the subconscious).

Perfect Approach plus perfect Shot plus perfect Flow will give you a "Deep Shot."

Back to your question.

There are training drills specifically focused on 1) each micro element in isolation; 2) each micro element pair, and 3) the higher level complex behaviors.

"Baseline Training" is the process of starting with the lowest level, most specific behaviors and rolling up over the course of a training cycle to the top level desired result. Every element receives attention, in order of smallest to most complex. This training regimen ensures you are focused on teh fundamentals consantly; every aspect ofh te behaviors you are trying to perfect.

In Addition

Above the baseline, you must dedicate EXTRA time to working on those problem areas that are preventing improved performance. If you don't work the baseline though, you will "forget" some baseline skills and lose performance on other areas that weren't problems before- but while you were training only on your problem area, you lost skills in other areas.

Anyhow

This all ties into Pete Schrieber's post over in the Olympic Pistol group about "scientific" (my words) approaches to training instead of the "flail away" default approach to training.

Shooting is a biomechanical process. Rational Process Improvement methods work. Better than the alternatives.

Steve Swartz