buying a candian gun in the US, please help

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

pbgear

buying a candian gun in the US, please help

Post by pbgear »

I am looking to buy two guns that are currently owned in Canada. I live in (and my FFL) is in New Jersey. Does anyone have any guidance as to how to accomplish this transaction?

thanks in advance
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

It's actually pretty easy. Get ATF Form 6 from their website, fill it out and mail it in. As long as the gun is legally to import into the US, they'll approve it.

Send a copy to the foreign, he will include it in the package when he sends it to your FFL, who'll transfer it to you.
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

It's actually pretty easy. Get ATF Form 6 from their website, fill it out and mail it in. As long as the gun is legal to import into the US, they'll approve it.

Send a copy to the foreign, he will include it in the package when he sends it to your FFL, who'll transfer it to you.
Mike Taylor

Getting a gun from Canada to USA

Post by Mike Taylor »

Actually, the big hurdle seems to be finding a way to send the gun to the US. It can not be sent by post. I have not found a Canadian courier service that will accept a firearm for delivery to the US (I've only found one that will even deliver within Canada.). Movers who are licensed to transport firearms want a minimum shipment of 1000 pounds (tiny shipments, like a five-pound packaged firearm, get lost) and they charge about $1 a pound - so that's out. A Canadian could possibly carry the gun over the border and then go to a US courier's office, but I'd want to be really, really sure I had all my paperwork down pat before I crossed the border, otherwise, with all the anti-terrorist laws now in effect, I could be looking at serious jail time (maybe even a free trip to Syria).
I've got handguns for sale that US buyers would love to purchase, but until I can find a way to send a gun to a US FFL from Canada, I'm outta luck.
cbpersel

Post by cbpersel »

Try contacting one of the Canadian air gun stores (e.g. Targets Canada in Hull/Ottawa) and ask them how to do it or if you can send it through them for a small fee.

Craig
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

If you are talking about airguns, I think it is pretty easy and minimal trouble. I bought an airgun from Germany, and it was shipped by Deutsche Post right to my door.

If you are talking about firearms, then you have to file the BATFE form(s) and pay the import duty. The only big deal, that I know of, is that the gun must have a safety. I brought in a Hammerli that did not have it, so I had Larry Carter act at import broker ($30-40 I think) and put the Hammerli safety on it.

You can find import brokers who will make sure the paperwork is correct for $25-40. It seems possible to do it yourself, but I chose not to.

Steve T

Post by guest »

If you are bringing in a rifle, no problem. Canada Post will carry it and USPS will deliver it - as long as all your paperwork is in order, that is. Your FFL will then take it to US Customs who will confirm that all is OK and collect any duty required (probably none). If it's a pistol, give up now. After several tries I have found no way to get it across the border for less than a yacht payment.
mitty

Post by mitty »

A few years ago I brought a couple of pistols in from Oz on a Form 6. Did all the paperwork and my friendly neighborhood FFL sent it in.

----wait 8 weeks----

The guns came just fine via Oz post, but when they got to the US our Customs missed them and they arrived at the FFL unopened and without the paperwork.

Long story short I had to take them back to Customs where they then faked the paperwork to make it look like they had been received properly!
william

Post by william »

I'd like to thank all the folks who have written about everything BUT importing guns from Canada. I will reinforce - from personal experience - what Mr. guest said, that it is legally possible but practically impossible to get a pistol from Canada to the US. I would like to know whether anybody has actually done it and if so how much it cost.
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

My Hammerli, mentioned above, came from Canada. I found no reason why I could not have done the paperwork myself, but it still had to have a safety installed, so I chose to use Larry Carter as my broker.