IZH-35 last shot slide catch

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
YM

IZH-35 last shot slide catch

Post by YM »

I have just noticed that Oleg Tkachev's photo shows the gun with the open action as he prepares to the rapid fire series during the final of the recent World Cup event. I provided the link to the picture.

Can someone confirm that IZH-35 has the slide catch installed on it. Or, is this after market modification?

http://www.issf.tv/foto.asp?mode=event& ... currpic=14

Thank you all.
Lee Jr

Post by Lee Jr »

My IZH35M ("99") has a factory slide catch. It is located on the right side of the pistol, on the shroud above the slide, postioned just forward of the trigger so that you can use your trigger finger to depress it while holding the slide open. My pistol is a USA import in case that makes any difference.
j-team

Post by j-team »

My IZH35 (1989) didn't have a slide catch. Not sure if current models have one but if they do I would be surprised if it was a "last shot" slide catch as this isn't something you would want on target pistol as it gives you a different felt recoil on the last shot as the slide does not return to battery as it does on all the previous shots.

By the way I had mine until 2001 and in all that time it functioned flawlessly.
sparky

Post by sparky »

If it's the last shot, and the perception felt occurs after the bullet has left the barrel, I don't see how it would matter.

I'd prefer to have one on bullseye/ISSF semi-autos because:
1. I'd be able to dry fire a 6th shot without dropping the hammer on an empty chamber.
2. To avoid the above accidentally if I lose count of my shots.
3. I'd prefer not have the bolt slam home on an empty chamber; it's probably not critical, but having it lock back would probably save a little wear and tear.
TomF

Post by TomF »

I have never seen a slide catch on a IZH35M that will automatically keep the slide open after the last shot.

All three of mine have a slide catch but they are manual. My build year is 2002.

If someone else has seen one, obviously custom and darn hard to make, please post a picture.
j-team

Post by j-team »

Sparky, you can't dry fire the 6th shot at all if the slide is locked back!
sparky

Post by sparky »

j-team wrote:Sparky, you can't dry fire the 6th shot at all if the slide is locked back!
I'd be able to follow through, acquire a sight picture, and pull the trigger. The hammer wouldn't fall, but I guess I still consider it a "dry fire."
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

sparky wrote:
j-team wrote:Sparky, you can't dry fire the 6th shot at all if the slide is locked back!
I'd be able to follow through, acquire a sight picture, and pull the trigger. The hammer wouldn't fall, but I guess I still consider it a "dry fire."
Follow through - differently than for the other 4 shots.

Sight picture - possible different, depending on pistol design.

Pull the trigger - differently than for the other 5 shots.

I'd stick to no catch (my personal take on it).
Pedro

IZH 35 M Slide Catch

Post by Pedro »

You don't need a slide catch. By the rules you only must have it open between series. It can be made with a piece of plstic, wood or something else. I use a wood cylinder with a flat face. The russin shooters used a cover of Eley. The pistols with a slide catch are the ones imported by EAA to USA. Anyway you may want to visit:

http://user.mc.net/~drweber/izh/izh_cus ... ustom.html
sparky

Post by sparky »

David Levene wrote:
sparky wrote:
Follow through - differently than for the other 4 shots.
Sight picture - possible different, depending on pistol design.
Pull the trigger - differently than for the other 5 shots.

I'd stick to no catch (my personal take on it).
Okay...I guess you've addressed ONE of my three reasons. But, to each their own. FWIW, my preferred Bullseye/ISSF gun (Pardini SP) doesn't have it.
For you, isn't it a moot point? Do they even allow semi-auto handguns of any sort in the UK?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

sparky wrote:Do they even allow semi-auto handguns of any sort in the UK?
(Sorry to go off topic but) technically yes, although practically no. Certainly not for ISSF cartridge competitions anyway.

Flights to mainland European destinations where pistols are allowed are remarkably cheap though. Normally cheaper than, for example, a London to Manchester return train ticket.

It's obviously not as good as being able to train on your local range a few times a week but, for those who are serious, frequent 2-3 day shooting sessions are a possible alternative.
Jay V

Post by Jay V »

http://user.mc.net/~drweber/izh/izh_lock/izh_lock.html - home page is http://www.djprecision.com/

This is what I have. Much easier to use than the stock catch. They aslo make it built into an aluminum "weight" - if you don't want the added weight on the gun.

In order to have a gun lock back after the last shot, you have to have something on the magazine follower to push up on a slide stop after the last round. The slide stop has to be located close to the magazine like a High Standard - the IZH would be tough to make work without many major changes.

Jay V