Most popular 22 target pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
range dog

Most popular 22 target pistol

Post by range dog »

What would you say is the most popular 22 target pistol? What is the hotest thing out there?
jackh

Re: Most popular 22 target pistol

Post by jackh »

range dog wrote:What would you say is the most popular 22 target pistol? What is the hotest thing out there?
Your type shooting use intended?
EdStevens

Post by EdStevens »

I think your question "what is the most popular?" begs the question "why do you want to know?" If it's for purchase decisions, then it needs to be said that the most popular car, most popular computer, most popular whatever, is virtually never the best. It's just the most poplular.

I have a S&W Model 41, certainly one of the most popular sport pistols out there, and I have a Hammerli SP-20, which is certainly not. I shoot the Hammerli. While the 41 is probably mechanically as accurate as the SP-20, shooting it well is just too much like work compared to the Hammerli.
range dog

Most popular 22 pistol

Post by range dog »

Bullseye and rapid fire. I'm a novice at this, so if there is more I do not know about please let me know. Thanks
range dog

Post by range dog »

If I were to ask a Benchrest Shooter which is the most popular cartridge he would probably reply 6mm PPC. This would be based on what he or she sees at the matches and what are the top ten shooters using. In pistol shooting I'm a real beginner and would like to know from others experiences what they feel is either the best or most popular 22 pistol being used. Most people who are serious about their sport pay close attention to what is going on. After reading many of the post in this forum I feel that the majority of contributers are very informed about their sport. That is why I chose this forum to ask the question I did. I have great respect for pistol shooters. It is probably the most difficult of all the shooting sports. Any info I can get from those with much more experience than I is greatly appreciated. Thanks
jackh

Re: Most popular 22 pistol

Post by jackh »

range dog wrote:Bullseye and rapid fire. I'm a novice at this, so if there is more I do not know about please let me know. Thanks
Have you read here http://www.bullseyepistol.com/

Price range has a lot to do with your choices. Some require $match ammo to run well.

If dollars are not a worry, find a Hammerli 208, 208s.

Next Euro gun in line I see at US matches is the Pardini

The FWB, Walther, And the new one with the tube feed have their place but are not too common in the US

Best from the US is S&W 41. Over the counter available, current with parts and service. Can be regripped and tuned to perfection. 41 can be configured to be very much like the 208.

Sheer popularity in numbers and cost is the Ruger with enhancements.

Marvel conversions on a good lower will compete with the best. And win.

As popular as they are, I bet a good old High Standard has not won many championships lately.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Bullseye: Hammerli 215, 208, 208s

Rapid Fire: Too soon to tell

Steve Swartz
EdStevens

Post by EdStevens »

The Model 41 is an excellent first gun, especially if you are unsure if you want to continue in the sport and don't want to spend a fortune on a firearm. Those expensive guns have a number of benefits, of course. An ergonomic grip that fuses the gun into the hand ensures consistency and that makes a big difference. You can get aftermarket grips for the 41 (and many others) that do this, too, and they will help a lot. A low bore axis (the barrel being as low to the line of your hand/arm as practical) greatly reduces muzzle flip during recoil which I find to be a great confidence builder, even in precision shooting, and has obvious benefits in timed and rapid fire. A fully adjustable two-stage trigger lets you set it up just the way you like in order to break the shot with much more accuracy. Things to bear in mind down the road.