Which Electronic Trainer is best.

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Greg Knutzen

Which Electronic Trainer is best.

Post by Greg Knutzen »

What type of trainer does the Army shooting team, Olympic training Center use? Does one trainer give better information in a usable format?
Does any trainer have problems with morini air or free pistols electronic triggers in picking up the shot fired?
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

You will find different systems give different information and formats and some people prefer one brand over another. I 'think' the rika's use artificial targets hence are dry fire whereas the Scatt's are either since they use standard targets on a frame. The rika's may be 'live' shootable as well, but I've only seem them with their sensors around the edge of their own target. I personally use a Scatt but I think they are all much of a muchness and will work equally well for you if used correctly.

Not much help I'm afraid, but I just got what I could buy and one that I got some feedback on.

Rob.
mark anderson

rika trainer

Post by mark anderson »

If you do a search of this website you will find many post on the rika, nopel, and the scatt systems. Just click on the search icon at the top of the web page.
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

Hi,
I did a survey a year ago and the result was SCATT 10 meters due to versatility for money.

It will pick up trigger sound from electronic Morini, FP and AP.

Kent
Greg Knutzen

Post by Greg Knutzen »

Thank you very much for the input. I still wonder what the national pistol coach and army teams use?
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

i remember seeing a Noptel at Ft Benning

Poole
http://arizona.rifleshooting.com/
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Greg Knutzen wrote:Thank you very much for the input. I still wonder what the national pistol coach and army teams use?
Have a look on some of the supplier websites. Scatt for example has lots of files you can download by a lot of world class shooters. I would suggest that it doesn't matter what the likes of the USAMU uses, it's what works for you that matters - also if you have a coach, ask for their preference.

Rob.
Sandy

Electronic Trainer

Post by Sandy »

Greg,
I have not used the Rika other than to try it out briefly at Nationals a few years ago. I have the Scatt and like it very much. I will bring my Scatt to the next match and try to get Peter Stairs to bring his Rika so that you can see the differences. Perhaps some one else in the club has a trainer that they could bring.
I have designed and made a system that makes it possible to have exactly the same weight and balance with the sensor attached to the pistol that the pistol has for live fire with just the air cylinder. The differences in the total weight and different balance in using trainers has always been a flaw in using any of the trainers with a pistol.
Training with my Scatt and live fire are now exactly the same since the sensor is not merely attached to the cylinder (thereby changing the weight and balance of the pistol). When I have the time I will photograph everything and will post it on TT.
Sandy
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

The information above about the Rika is incorrect. The Rika uses a holder that holds a regular target and you can live fire on it. I've tried both the Rika and Scatt. "I" perfer the Rika I find the set-up easier and quicker that the Scatt. I also find that they all provide basically the same information in somewhat differing formats so I really wouldn't worry that you are missing something by buying one over another. Another thing to condiser is service when purchasing a unit (ie help, spare or extra parts). I'm sure you will be happy with either the Rika or Scatt. They have no problems with Steyr AP never tried it with a FP.
Peter Stairs

Rika

Post by Peter Stairs »

Bought the Rika from Warren 1 1/2 years ago. Easy setup. It "hears" the electronic trigger from my Morini 162 EI. The information it presents to analyze, as has been mentioned above, is substantial enough with Rika or Scatt to "explode" the wrong stuff visually and start you thinking about solutions darn quick.

Understanding you are strapping something ...sensor... with a cord attached to it on the serious end of what otherwise is a well balanced instrument of perfection has no getting around it.

At the end of the day...it will see far more then you can about execution mistakes we all make. It will announce them in a visual presentation filled with color, stats, and drama to pour over and is every bit the tool is was designed to be.

Will it place you in the top 10....20 or 30 in the world today shooting the scores required to win ?..I think not.

We all know what it takes to get there. Rika / Scatt great tools! Buy one and share it and have fun is my closing suggestion!
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Just a suggestion about the sensor and cable, to lessen the impact of the weight of the cable take the little plastic clip from a laminated name tag and run the cable through the loop then clip it to your shirt sleeve. This takes up the weight of the cable and makes it hardly noticable.
Hap Rocketto

Beamhit 190 System

Post by Hap Rocketto »

Take a look as this inexpensive laser training system at www. beamhit.com
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

RobStubbs wrote:I would suggest that it doesn't matter what the likes of the USAMU uses, it's what works for you that matters -
I would suggest that it would not be smart to ignore the experience of the best shooting team in the United States.
Sawyer

Trainers

Post by Sawyer »

The AMU uses Noptel in both the rifle and pistol sections, if I'm not mistaken. It's more expensive than either Rika or Scatt, but may be more durable or reliable-- they must have chosen it for a reason. I have one and find it invaluable. I cart it all over the place using it for classes, demos and training. It's very robust.

The only thing I don't like about it is the extreme sensitivity to "thermals" in the room. A nearby heat duct spewing warm air can change your zero.

Other than that, it's remarkably accurate in telling me what I'm doing, and reflecting the scores I shoot in real life.

hope this helps,

Larry
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Jose Rossy wrote:
RobStubbs wrote:I would suggest that it doesn't matter what the likes of the USAMU uses, it's what works for you that matters -
I would suggest that it would not be smart to ignore the experience of the best shooting team in the United States.
No one suggested ignoring it but they are not the best shooting team in the world. What are those other teams using ?

Your analogy is like suggesting they use morini air pistols therefore so should I - it doesn't work like that.

Rob.
Bob LeDoux

Maybe Its Perspective

Post by Bob LeDoux »

I think the folks on our side of the pond are looking at personal ownership, while you maybe considering a club purchase. A club would have greater resources than an individual. We look at cost, you look at performance.
Last edited by Bob LeDoux on Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Levene

Re: Maybe Its Perspective

Post by David Levene »

Bob LeDoux wrote:I think the folks on our side of the pond are looking at personal ownership, while you maybe considering a club purchase.
I think you are wrong there Bob. I know that the vast majority of Scatt systems sold in the UK are for personal ownership/use. I have no reason to think that the position on Rika or Noptel would be any different.
Hap Rocketto

Beamhit 190 Trainer

Post by Hap Rocketto »

You might try the Beamhit 190 system for an inexpensive, a few hundred dollars, elecyronic trainer. It uses a light weight laser. Check it out on www.beamhit.com
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Hap:

Do you work for Beamhit? C'mon, full disclosure time.

The fact that you call the Beamhit system a "Trainer" could be considered somewhat disingenuous, given what the other (actual) trainers do.

Steve Swartz
Ted Bell

Post by Ted Bell »

Beamhit claims their system "is the only proven effective marksmanship training system in existence today," although I think SCATT, RIKA, and NOPTEL could all be considered effective marksmanship training systems.

-Ted

===
Reading it a little later, my original post here was a little too strong- my apologies to the forum. I suspect I was irritated that Beamhit appeared to be using the forum to push their product through someone appearing to be disinterested.
Last edited by Ted Bell on Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.