Rapid fire target specifications- are the red lights on top?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Ted Bell

Rapid fire target specifications- are the red lights on top?

Post by Ted Bell »

I'm building my own RF target stand for practicing- in placing the red & green lights, are the red lights above the targets and the green below, or vice versa? I couldn't find it listed in the rules.

Thanks,
Ted
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I 'thought' when I saw them with lights it had green top left, red top right but I won't go with what I think ;) I'm sure they must be in the ISSF rulebook and website (if specified).

Rob.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I cannot remember seeing it in the latest rules but it is red at the top, green at the bottom.

This way you don't have to move your eyeline as much to see the green light come on (to allow you to raise the pistol) and you can see the red stop light come on above the pistol when you are shooting.
Ted Bell

Post by Ted Bell »

After a thorough web search I've discovered that in the 2001 rules it was listed under 6.3.23.4 of the Technical Rules for all disciplines, and specified that the red light goes above the frame and the green light below. However, that rule doesn't exist in the current rules. Was it simply omitted by mistake, or is there a reason its no longer included?

Thanks,
Ted
TomF

Post by TomF »

I this just for single targets?

What about 5 falling plate targets? Where do the lights go?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

TomF wrote:What about 5 falling plate targets? Where do the lights go?
Just as common sense would indicate that the (obsolete) 2001 rule should continue to be used to give red above and green below for the 25m targets, I think that the same colour and positioning should apply to the 10m 5 target setup.

As your question indicates however, that is not the complete answer to the problem. The rules give us no idea whether there shoud be one set of lights per target system or per target "diagram".

My personal preference would be for the latter, not because it would more closely resemble a 25m RF setup but because it offers the shooter various options on where to look while waiting for the green.

It is not a satisfactory situation though as the ISSF rules are supposed to give us a set of basic standards that we can expect wherever we shoot. Not giving guidance on simple target equipment construction/positioning is, IMHO, a major omission.
TomF

Post by TomF »

Aye!

I thought I might have missed something, but unfortunately not.

Thanks David!