first shot good, second bad

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Nano

first shot good, second bad

Post by Nano »

To the forum:

In my country, in air pistol, we shoot two shots for each target, I have the problem that my first shot is generally very good (generally 10), but the second is very bad (generally 8).
I appreciate any opinion to improve.
Thank you,

Nano
trinity

Re: first shot good, second bad

Post by trinity »

Nano wrote:To the forum:

In my country, in air pistol, we shoot two shots for each target, I have the problem that my first shot is generally very good (generally 10), but the second is very bad (generally 8).
I appreciate any opinion to improve.
Thank you,

Nano
Treat every shot like the same shot, regardless of whether it is the first shot or second shot. Your second shot is poor probably because you are thinking about how nice that 10 you just shot was, instead of watching the sights to shoot another 10.

This is the whole "one shot match" idea, that you shoot one shot at a time, exactly the same way, and forget everything that occured before that shot.

Although it is easy to say, it isn't as easy to do. Some coping strategies are not to scope your target after each shot, or not scoring your target mentally as you bring the target back, etc. These techniques may differ, but the overall idea is still to get you to shoot the current shot like it is the only shot in a match.

Remember, the shots that've left your gun, you have no control over, whether they be good or poor. The only shot you have control over is the one in your gun right now, so make it a good one!
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

As you are shooting 2 shots per target I presume that you are using a returning target changer system.

After the first shot bring the target back to you, take it out of the carrier, put it on the bench, pick it up, put it back in the carrier and send it away from you.

This will help to make your first and second shot routines the same.
Last edited by David Levene on Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

David,
A very good idea!
Most of my AP matches are shot on four bull targets and I have been unable to implement your suggestion. The one match I shot at a range using a carrier system and one shot per target resulted in a personal high because I was able to follow a one shot process physicaly as well as mentally.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Hi,

Does this happen every target in the set? It could also be that you have trained yourself to concentrate more on the first shot and you try to finish off the second just to perform the act of running a target down to calm yourself.

I would think twice about bringing the target back twice for each one. It may work against you by taking time away from shot preperation. I would shy away from increasing the number of routines you have in your shooting plan. I have, for years, strived to eliminate as many as I can. I have noticed that some shooters have included so many routines that they consume almost all the time between shots. I am at the point now that between shots, I rest my arm and visualize the next shot. I have found that by doing the least motion between shots helps me the most.

Then again, most nights I would take 10's and 8's, they are better than 9's and some 6's :-)

Tom
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

A couple of suggestions - First, don't look at the card until both shots are there - that way you won't see a ten and then anticipate a poor shot. It should also make you more process orientated since you won't get instant shot feedback.

The other possibility (if allowed), is to cycle through the cards twice - i.e. shoot a single shot on all the cards, then repeat. I personally wouldn't opt for that but it may help you.

Rob.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

RobStubbs wrote:The other possibility (if allowed), is to cycle through the cards twice - i.e. shoot a single shot on all the cards, then repeat. I personally wouldn't opt for that but it may help you.
This would probably be against the rules of any competition as it makes count-back impossible.
Nano

first shoot good, second bad

Post by Nano »

To the forum:

thanks for all their answers, they have been very useful for my.
I will put in practices some of the received ideas in an immediate way.

Nano