How do I use this stuff :)

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

shaines

How do I use this stuff :)

Post by shaines »

I bought an Anschutz 1451 Sporter rifle at a gun show recently because my son wanted a bolt action .22 and I knew about the brand. It didnt have sights so I bought an Anschutz sight set and boy does it look complicated! It came with no instructions (the sights that is). Is there somewhere that I could go for some real basic instruction on this gun/sight set combination? Also, once I get it all working what kind of smallbore games is this rifle good for? One more question to show what a rank amateur that I am, what is a hand stop and what is it for?

BTW - I am not new to guns, I own many rifles and pistols just nothing like this.

Steve
TWP

Post by TWP »

The sights should just clamp on to the receiver and the barrel.

Forget the markings, they're German and they're backwards. I tell all our Junior shooters to use the rule of thumb. If you want to move your point of impact to the right take your right hand and point with your thumb to the right, curl your fingers up and they will show you the way to adjust the sights. To move the point of impact tot he left take your right hand and point your thumb to the left, curl the fingers and they will point the direction to move the sight knob. Same for up and down, just use your right hand and point the direction you want the impact of the bullet to move.

The rifle shoule be good for a beginner 3 Position shooter. Should also work well in metalic silohette shooting. Not sure if they are legal in CMP sporter matches or not.

The handstop is for use with a special sling for shooting in the prone and kneeling positions. The sling only attaches at the hand stop and loops around the shooters support arm.

I'd suggest you look for a Junior shooting program in your area.

Post by Guest »

a good tip for the sights is Clockwise=Left/down. Each "click" will be worth 1/6th or 1/12th MOA depending on the model. 1/6th moa sights have 10 clicks per rotation of each turret; 1/12th MOA have 20 clicks per rotation.

The handstop as well as being the fixing point for the sling, is there to butt your supporting hand against. This prevents it moving during firng and potentially changing where the bullets land.

Tim S

Exeter UK
shaines

Post by shaines »

Thanks for the help. I live in Northern Va (Centreville), is that a group I can join/visit to get some hands on help with all this?
mark anderson

jr clubs

Post by mark anderson »

You should check out the Acron jr club located in Arlington Va. They have a very good program coached by several top level shooter/coaches. The Jr. team won the NRA 3 position team match in 2003 beating out the AMU team and many other seinor teams.

http://www.geocities.com/acornsjrc/
echo3mike

Post by echo3mike »

The Acorns club shoots at the NRA range Sunday nights in a semi formal session, if my memory serves me correctly. I spoke with both of the contacts given on the page, (since I'm in the same boat you are, and I live in Chantilly), and the gist of the conversation was that they cater to Jr shooters exclusively, although I think the Sunday night things are open to all.

Might be worth it to go there jus to watch or ask questions.

Scott
TWP

Post by TWP »

Shaines,

Wish you would have said you live in Centreville to start with.

I'm in Centreville also. And I'm an assistant coach with the Acorns.

That's the good news. Now the bad. Due to limited range time the Acorns does not take all comers any more. The team is set at 14 shooters and the season starts in October.

We also are associated with an Air Rifle team that shoots at the Izaak Walton League in Centerville on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday nights. Tuesday nights are for Intermeadiate shooters (I usually run Tuesday nights), Thursday and Friday are for all shooters. We have all the gear and air rifles to get started. Your welcome to come by any of the 3 week nights and watch a practice session. New shooters must attend a orientation held on Wednesday nights and scheduled as needed.

PM me if you need more information.

Edited to add.

I can help you out with the rifle, but I'm real busy with work for the next couple of weeks.
diopter

What it means

Post by diopter »

Any target sight that has "bei" written on it is adjusted "BY" where the shot WAS.

If your shots are high, turn the knob in the "H" Höhes (High) direction.

If your shots are low, turn the knob in the "T" Tief (deep/Low) direction.

If your shots are to the left, turn the knob in the "L" Links (Left) direction.

If your shots are to the right, turn the knob in the "R" Rechts (Right) direction.

If the "T" gets you confused, just think to yourself:
"Stop, you low down thief!"

Most Germanic target sights use this "bie' system.
From Germany: Anschütz, Feinwerkbau, Walther
From Austria: Steyr
Fron Switzerland: W&F, Grünig & Elmiger
Pradeep

Post by Pradeep »

It's also good to write down the sight changing procedure in your shooting diary, for each gun. Nothing worse than adjusting your sights and then realising you've turned them the wrong way when you look in the scope :)